• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue opening NEF files, which used to open earlier..

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I used to open and edit NEF ( Nikon Raw format) files, in Photoshop elements 14. Never had an issue.

A couple of days back, in a rush, I used the option "Process Multiple Files" to save time … The Photoshop process stopped after one file conversion. I repeated the processing, selecting the option to log defects in destination folder. Since then, Photoshop stopped opening any NEF File ( throwing an error popup screen stating

And the Log file has multiple lines with the following error message against each file

Error: Could not complete your request because Photoshop Elements  cannot recognize the file extension. (-25600)

Trying to fix, I have tried

1. Re-install Photoshop elements 14 from Disc

2. Uninstall / Reinstall Photoshop elements 14from Disc

3. reset Windows 10 OS and then reinstall Photoshop

4. Download and install Photoshop elements 14

5. Posted in ACR ( Adobe Camera Raw) forum but was asked to come here since they didn't think it was an error with Camera Raw

None of the approaches have worked so far.. Please assist

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you uninstalled, did you choose the option to delete user preferences?  (I'm not sure of the exact wording.)  If not, delete the preferences files.  In the Edit>Preferences>General dialog, you can select Reset preferences on next launch.

If that doesn't work, I have to ask whether you have a new Nikon camera. Not all NEF files are created equally.  ACR is continually updated to handle newer cameras, and at a certain point Elements cannot be updated to the latest version of ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg

I have done both routes, and still face the issue..

Further still, the files I am referencing were opening fine before. So it

feels like the "process multiple files" option has corrupted the raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use NEF files, but the only reported situation in which raw files had been found to be really corrupted was a few years ago when the Nikon transfer program did create the issue. To be sure, does the issue persists with recent NEF files from your camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no - it happens even with old ones. In fact, I feel its something to do

with the process Multiple files option in Elements but cant be sure..

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 2:07 PM MichelBParis <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines