• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

JPEG file size shrinks after edits in Photoshop elements

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a recent development that has not happened to me before.

When using any of the editors in elements 2018, after doing a crop (any size crop even just taking a sliver off the edges) the file size will shrink from about 20MB to just over 1MB. And I am aware of the pop up box for "JPEG Options" that I set for Quality 12 - Maximum.

The only work around that I found is to use the Instant editor to crop and then go to the other editors and work on any other tweeks.

I looked at all the settings and prefences and couldn't find anything that would shrink the file so drastically.

Please help...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

You did not state the resolution (PX/IN) of the files pre and post crop with the crop tool. On the crop tool's option bar, is there a value in the resolution field? As an experiment, open an image not obtained via your camera, and crop it. What happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Photoshop Elements forum from Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably related to JPEG compression. Was the original file in JPEG format? What is the resolution of the original file and of the file produced after your intervention? What happens when you activate the rectangular marquee tool,  position the outline to embrace what you wish to retain, then go to Image menu>Crop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the original files are in JPEG format. The files I move from the camera are anywhere from 15MB to 21MB, after edits they shrink to just a bit over 1MB. Just tried using the Select Marquee Tool, Image, Crop and the saved file was 14MB, just like it should be. Then tried using Modify Crop Tool and the saved file was 780 KB for approximately the same size crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not state the resolution (PX/IN) of the files pre and post crop with the crop tool. On the crop tool's option bar, is there a value in the resolution field? As an experiment, open an image not obtained via your camera, and crop it. What happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolution of the original is 300, the resolution of the crop is 233. That's it, I think you did it!! Changing the resolution of the crop back to 300 does the trick. You da bomb lol. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You're welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines