Key Words from Adobe Bridge missing

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added keywords to all my 500 digitized photos using Adobe Bridge. However, when I open up my photos in Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019, I cannot find any of those keywords. GROAN.  Does Adobe Bridge not work with Elements? Or is it a simple click I have overlooked?  Thank you.

Diane

TOPICS
How to, Organizer, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't see the keywords when you use the menu File >> File info... in the editor ???

Otherwise, where do you expect to see the keywords?

Elements users don't use Bridge, which is a browser like Explorer or Finder, they use the Organizer, which is a photo files manager based on catalogs powered by a database manager. Much more powerful to manage keywords.

https://helpx.adobe.com/elements-organizer/user-guide.html

In the Organizer or Lightroom the keywords are stored in the catalog.You only store the keywords in the files themselves if you issue that command yourself.

So, if you add keywords to your files from another app than the Organizer, either you do it before 'importing' (indexing) the files in a catalog, in which case they are registered in the catalog

or

You do it externally after importing, in which case the keywords in the files are not updated in the catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As said by Michel if you choose to look at the file info, you should see attached keywords from Bridge under the Basic tab.

If you were to import files into Organizer directly from a folder you should get prompted to import the keywords into the catalog. Simply click the button “Select All”

You will then see the keywords in the tags panel on the right under imported keywords.

But there seems little advantage in using both Bridge & Organizer. You could use Organizer to manage specific folders/photos and Bridge to see everything on your computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dianef31111009 AUTHOR LATEST
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that there is no reason to use both Bridge and Elements for my purpose. I contacted both daughters who have a USB of the first round of digitized photos that I organized and assigned key words on Bridge. While I can click on a photo in my computer and see the keywords, neither daughter can see keywords.  And that was the whole point of using Bridge.... to enable future generations to know who is who.

I also looked to see if I could export a list, but the only export is just a list of keywords, not what I need.

I will now ask in the Bridge community, but moving forward, I don't see the value of tagging each photo.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate both replies.

In addition to digitzing 500 slides, I am  going through many family photo albums and many boxes of photos and negatives. My intent is to selectively scan several hundred photos and identify (to the best of my ability) who these people are. 

I will gift each daughter a USB of their family, grandparents, great-parents, etc.

Unless I can embed the names of family members on each image which they can view on their computers, there is no value in my using keywords on Elements or Bridge.  At that rate, I might as well create an Excel with image numbers and names of people in columns.

I hope what I write makes sense.  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you import from folders into organiser and choose to also import the keywords you can embed the metadata using the Organizer menu for selected thumbnails.

File >> Write metadata to files

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines