Highlighted

Keyword Import Nightmare - Does Adobe have an answer?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone through this entire forum and sadly, Adobe has not provided a clear answer to this issue (or I missed it).  I've just upgraded to PSE19 from 18 (because Adobe dropped the maps feature, a whole other topic to rant on), and followed the backup-restore procedure to the letter.  This is my 4th version of PSE, BTW, so I'm not new to this and I did not have this problem when upgrading from 12 to 18.

ISSUE:

• Whether you use restore or import leaves the user with the same issue, all the keyword tags are dumped in one huge, ridiculous unorganized batch under "Imported Keywords" including people, places, events, etc. 

QUESTIONS:

• Why won't PSE19 import my tags with the same organization as before?
  • What does one have to do to to get PSE19 to recognize this organization when importing or restoring?

My library dates back to 2001 and I have approx 30K photos and dozens of tags.  There has to be a way to address this with out a weekend's worth of manual manipulation - I hope.  Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Keyword Import Nightmare - Does Adobe have an answer?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone through this entire forum and sadly, Adobe has not provided a clear answer to this issue (or I missed it).  I've just upgraded to PSE19 from 18 (because Adobe dropped the maps feature, a whole other topic to rant on), and followed the backup-restore procedure to the letter.  This is my 4th version of PSE, BTW, so I'm not new to this and I did not have this problem when upgrading from 12 to 18.

ISSUE:

• Whether you use restore or import leaves the user with the same issue, all the keyword tags are dumped in one huge, ridiculous unorganized batch under "Imported Keywords" including people, places, events, etc. 

QUESTIONS:

• Why won't PSE19 import my tags with the same organization as before?
  • What does one have to do to to get PSE19 to recognize this organization when importing or restoring?

My library dates back to 2001 and I have approx 30K photos and dozens of tags.  There has to be a way to address this with out a weekend's worth of manual manipulation - I hope.  Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 22, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you first opened the Organizer in 2019, you were offered the opportunity to convert your existing catalog (from 2018 to 2019).  Had you done that, your existing tag hierarchy would have been imported intact.  (I'm not sure how the geo-tags will convert to the new map system, as I don't use it.)

You can now convert the 2018 catalog to 2019 by going to the File>Manage Catalogs dialog and choosing the Convert button.  Let us know if you need any help with the Convert dialog.

BTW, when you did the full Restore, your tag hierarchy should have also been restored intact.  It is also possible to export/import the tag hierarchy from one catalog to another, but I would suggest using the convert catalog first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a full backup in PE18 and DID do the restore and had the exact same issue.  I've tried converting three times, it makes it to 28% then hangs...then I get an error saying contact Adobe support.  Looks like I will have to uninstall PE19, reinstall 18, export my tags to file, uninstall 18, reinstall 19 and import tags.

This is ridiculous!  :-[

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20190222_195051142_iOS.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2019 0
Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried converting three times, it makes it to 28% then hangs...then I get an error saying contact Adobe support.

The conversion process can take a looooongggg time.  Did you receive the error message without clicking around in frustration?  Depending on computer specs and size of catalog, it can take hours.  The program may show that it is non-responsive, but it is actually working.

Did you repair and optimize the catalog in 2018 before converting?  If not, try that first. 

You can have 2018 and 2019 installed on your computer at the same time.  If you are deleting 2018 because of space issues, do you have sufficient storage room on the drive where your catalogs are stored?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2019 0
Greg_S. LATEST
Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  So you need to open the catalog in 2018 and repair it.  Or have you already tried that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 22, 2019 0