• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Levels not working after update

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the latest Elements 2021 update on two different machines. The manual Levels tool no longer works correctly. Auto Levels still works fine, but when I move the sliders manually, nothing happens. 😞 

TOPICS
Bug , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does a Levels adjustment layer work?

Try resetting the preferences file. Go to Edit>Preferences>General tab and click the Reset Preferences on next launch button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Greg_S. 

In my own setup (Win 10), adjustments layer work normally, but the 'preview' checkbox is inactive. The preview is only shown when you release the mouse.

Something may have been changed as well as another similar issue with curves after the last update:

https://photoshopelementsandmore.com/thread/7605/2021-update-grants-tools-curves

I have not found any similar workaround for levels preview, but of course, an adjustment layer seems the way to go.

Already mentioned in the feedback forum, you may add your vote:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop-elements/levels-not-working-after-elements-20...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, the regular levels dialog (brought up with Ctrl+L) works fine for me in 2021.1.   I just tested out the difference between 2020 and 2021.1.  The preview is definitely a little more responsive in 2020, but it is barely noticeable.  I'm wondering whether it is a hardware issue. 

If you move the levels slider and wait (several seconds?) before releasing the mouse button, is there no difference at all?  Does the preview never change?  If you commit the change in the Levels slider, is there no change to the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If you move the levels slider and wait (several seconds?) before releasing the mouse button, is there no difference at all?  Does the preview never change?

Greg, like Michel, the preview box does not instantly respond, but if the sldier is moved and I wait 2 seconds the preview box changes. 

Clive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel, the regular levels dialog (brought up with Ctrl+L) works fine for me in 2021.1.   I just tested out the difference between 2020 and 2021.1.  The preview is definitely a little more responsive in 2020, but it is barely noticeable.  I'm wondering whether it is a hardware issue. 

If you move the levels slider and wait (several seconds?) before releasing the mouse button, is there no difference at all?  Does the preview never change?  If you commit the change in the Levels slider, is there no change to the image?

By @Greg_S.

Hi Greg and Pontiac,

Yes the effect of the move shows after you release the mouse button.

However, this change of behaviour makes the 'preview' button to be nearly useless. Its purpose is to allow a real time preview when you move a slider or tab to stop on the precise setting when the 'preview' looks optimal. With this change, you can only get the right setting by several 'trials and errors'.

What is curious is that the levels adjustment layer is fluid as usual.

I think that we'll be able to find other tools with similar preview issues. The gradient map adjustment layer also has the same problem: even if you wait some time, the effect is only shown when you release the mouse button.

There must have been a reason for this change of behaviour. I am tempted to think that Adobe's efforts to take advantage of the GPU for more features is the real reason. Users want more and more speed, especially for LR classic, and the changes for LR have consequences on ACR... and the changes may not work optimally with Elements without using GPU, which is very limited and with Elements with lower specs computers. People often complain that "if it is not broken, don't fix it"; but very often, that is the result of trying to satisfy the requests of many users. At least, I think that is what is happening with the ACR crop tool in Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are working on resolving this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2023 has the same issue with levels preview not working. So what's the solution? Almost three years later? Levels is one of the most important tools. Really disappointed with version 2023, older versions worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PSEv.2024, Levels Adjustment layer works perfectly. One can see the changes without releasing the mouse button. Resetting the black or white points works as well.

On the other hand, Enhance>adjust lighting>levels one has to release the mouse button in order to see the changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I know the workaround with adjustment layers. But there is a fault in the software when ctrl+l does not give a preview as in previous versions. Using layers means 4 menu selections to get to the adjustment. That slows down working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone, I have to agree, it is the preview that is not working, and it's happening on several tools. You have to move the slider and release to see any changes. I note below that a tech from Adobe has acknowleged the issue. Thanks for all the great responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone working on a fix for this? Six months on and the latest update still hasn't fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines