• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List photos in date/time order, regardless of photo format.

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My imports from various cameras have resulted in two folders - one for jpg and one for nef. Any views are in date/time order. However, the jpg photos always list in a set before the nef photos set, on any particular day. What do I need to do in order to have the photos truly list is date/time order, regardless of photo format? 

TOPICS
How to , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Hi Greg.  I am very embarassed. I obviously was confused, and am now with a better understanding of how things work as per your last paragraph.  Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not usual to store raw files in another folder than the edited jpegs, especially if you are saving "in version sets". Can you describe in more detail how you download your photos (raw only or raw + jpeg) and if you display them: by selecting subforders or not. That will help to better understand your queston.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to  recover all my deleted photos and files which were on my external hard drive. Tried using various tools and finally settled on Wondershare's Recoverit (finds deleted files) and DigitralVolcano's Duplicate Cleaner Pro. This resulted in two separate files (JPG, NEF) for importing into PSE15.  I no longer thad a clean surviving PSE15  catalogue, so PSE15 was first uninstalled, then intalled. In the initial (first) run of the PSE Import dialongue I did not see an ability/options to somehow merge both files for importing. So as a result of two separate Import cycles, I now have two folders - the JPG contains 23,003 photos, and the NEF has 11,059. Is this sufficient background? Thank you Michel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be a simple explanation (and solution) for your problem.  I assume that you are shooting in jpeg/raw formats, and that all of the jpegs shot on a day are displayed separately from the same images shot in raw format on the same day.  If so, take a look at the displayed date and time for each photo shot as a jpeg/raw.  They are almost certainly different and the difference will be by a constant number of hours.

I have seen this reported before when a user has changed the time zone on a camera when going to a distant location.  When the user has returned home and imported the images to his computer, the jpegs and raws are displayed according to a different time.  This would seem to be a bug in the camera's software.  IIRC, the camera was a Sony.  (I suppose the problem could also occur if Daylight Savings adjustments are set on the camera.)  I think I have also seen this myself on my Sony camera but at the time I didn't investigate the cause.

If I have correctly diagnosed the problem, the solution is easy.  Simply select all the photos with the "wrong" dates/times, and use the context menu to

1. Adjust Time and Date of Selected Items,
  2. Choose Shift by set number of hours (time zone adjust)
  3. Make the appropriate change

Ashampoo_Snap_2020.05.08_12h33m17s_000_.png

If this is not the case, then please do as Michel asks and give us some more information.  Also, what OS and version of Elements are you using?

You may also be able to avoid the problem in the future by using the Adobe Photo Downloader to import your files into the Organizer.  There is an option to place the jpg/raw files in a stack.  However, this will not work if you have some reason for separating the jpg/raw files into different folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick response Greg. My problem does not stem from shooting in differrent fromats from the same camera. The mix of JPG and NEF formats was as a result of my spouse and I using different cameras over the years, at the same events/trips. I have provided more background info to Michel, and will look into the Adobe Photo Downloader as to a potential solution. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, can you show us an example where you and your husband were taking photos of the same scene at the same time and you both later took a different scene at the same time.  In this case, are you saying that all of the photos from one camera appear before all of the photos from the other camera?  Again, I would suggest you pay attention to the time difference between the images.  The clocks on your cameras may have been set differently.

Or are you saying that you are viewing the photos using the Folder panel?  If this is the case, then there is no way to view images in two folders at the same time.  What happens if you view the images in the All Media tab, not via the Folder panel?  The display should show all photos in the date and time order of when they were actually taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Greg: it's necessary to find a pattern in the time difference between NEFs and jpegs.

"Or are you saying that you are viewing the photos using the Folder panel?  If this is the case, then there is no way to view images in two folders at the same time. "

To view files from two different folders as if they were in a single one, I suggest creating an album including all the files of both folders, at least for testing. That may help to to see if the time difference is the same. I can see that there are reasons for that difference to change over the years, as suggested by Greg, so comparing the same events or short periods would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Greg.  I am very embarassed. I obviously was confused, and am now with a better understanding of how things work as per your last paragraph.  Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines