• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

location of metadata

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that, if a picture file has metadata (let's say some keywords), these data may reside in the file itself, or in some sidecar file (or in both, I assume). Is it possible to establish which of these is the case for a specific picture file and its metadata?

Rik

TOPICS
How to , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Hi Rik

Metadata is generally stored in the Organizer catalog. Optionally it can be embedded in files from the Organizer menu:

File >> Save metadata to files

Most file types can embed metadata with the exception of proprietary raw files e.g. Canon CR2, Nikon NEF. These files store information in a sidecar file usually found in the same folder as the original.

You can check files with embedded metadata by opening in the Editor and using the menu:

File >> File Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rik

Metadata is generally stored in the Organizer catalog. Optionally it can be embedded in files from the Organizer menu:

File >> Save metadata to files

Most file types can embed metadata with the exception of proprietary raw files e.g. Canon CR2, Nikon NEF. These files store information in a sidecar file usually found in the same folder as the original.

You can check files with embedded metadata by opening in the Editor and using the menu:

File >> File Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 99jon,
Thanks for you swift reply. Even so, I'm a bit disappointed. I would have expected that a program that is meant to be a management program (so, PSE Organizer) would offer a clear overview of the location of all metadata of a particular picture file. If I understand you correctly, however, I would have to open another program (PSE Editor) to establish which of the metadata are embedded. I would then have to return to the Organizer and 'subtract' these embedded metadata from the total metadata in order to arrive at the catalog-only metadata. Well...
Just to make sure: this is no criticism of you (I'm very happy with your response). Instead, it's criticism of PSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also view the info from the Organizer and append or overwrite data. Click the three dots in the metadata panel on the right. See image below.

ThreeDots.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there somewhere a list which of all data fields may be embedded and which ones have to reside in a separate sidecar file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the file type, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rik,

Raw files require xmp sidecar files but for jpegs, psd or tiff files the metadata will be embedded in the metadata header of the media file itself.

The normal tags, captions, ratings, notes, date_taken, will be written, but the grouping information like albums, stacks and version sets have no meaning for a single file and nothing will be written. If your concern is about face recognition or geotagging, please explain what you would like.

You can browse the various metadata from the editor or from the organizer. As mentionned by 99jon, you also have the ability to edit the IPTC fields directly in the media file independently from the catalog.

A similar question would be which metadata is automatically written to the file (or xmp) when updated in the catalog. For instance, edited captions are indeed written to files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines