Highlighted

Lost photos after Restore in PSE 15.

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to gain access to photos I had in PSE 11, unusable with Windows 10 in a newer PC.  I restored them successfully to PSE 15 but now cannot find my newer set of photos (taken and uploaded to PSE 15 before I tried 'Restore' from PSE 11)  when I open Elements.  Those photos are still on my PC, as I can see them in 'Pictures' but not in PSE 15.  It's as if the 'Restore' has overwritten any photos I already had.

Any ideas, please, as to what has happened?

Thomas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lost photos after Restore in PSE 15.

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to gain access to photos I had in PSE 11, unusable with Windows 10 in a newer PC.  I restored them successfully to PSE 15 but now cannot find my newer set of photos (taken and uploaded to PSE 15 before I tried 'Restore' from PSE 11)  when I open Elements.  Those photos are still on my PC, as I can see them in 'Pictures' but not in PSE 15.  It's as if the 'Restore' has overwritten any photos I already had.

Thomas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 06, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STS1956  wrote

Thomas

If you restore photos from an older version backup, they will appear with the original catalog after a final conversion to the newer catalog format. The photos you have catalogued previously in the new PSE are in their own catalog. There is no simple way to 'merge' two catalogs. So, the best you can do is probably to re-import the photos in a catalog into the other, after 'writing metadata to tags' to recover most of your organization work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MichelB,

I'm not clear what you mean in your last post.

If I were to create a new folder (I did so successfully for my Restore of PSE 11 photos), could I then Restore my (newer) PSE 15 photos as they are not in PSE 15 now?  (Thankfully I backed up all my newer photos on to an external H/D, so it should be easy enough to do.)

I don't necessarily want to merge the older and the newer photos: I'm just happy to be able to look at my older photos.  I do of course want access to my newer photos; I've got photos already that I want to download and add to that collection. (Is what I'm calling a 'collection' what you refer to as a 'catalog' by the way?

If I can avoid having to buy PSE2019 I'd be pleased; I'm quite happy editing in PSE 15.  If I can't somehow get my newer photos back into PSE15 though, I may have no choice.

I can't locate my newer photos within PSE 15 now, so my assumption is that they were overwritten when I restored my older photos, but what do you think has happened?

Many thanks for replying so promptly,

Thomas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2019 0
Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas,

What I mean:

You have two catalogs (two different databases with pointers to files located on your computer).

The one which was created when you installed PSE15 (the new files you are still able to see in the explorer)

The restored catalog which is located under the master folder location you have chosen when you did the restore. That restore did recreate both the media files folder tree AND that original catalog, and it also created a converted catalog copy from PSE11 to PSE15.

Each catalog ignores what is in the other one. You can access any of your photo files from one or the other catalog. If you want to be able to see all your media files, ideally you would want both catalogs to be merged into a single one. That is not easy, but you can select the catalog which holds most of your photos (my guess is the converted one from old PSE11 catalog) and import the files catalogued afterwards from PSE15.

Then all your files would be accessible.

Good to know:

1 - It's very easy to import those newer PSE15 files if you know where they are on your computer. There is no risk of importing twice older files in your computer. The import feature has a protection against duplicate imports.

2 - Importing files is good, but importing them with their organization data (tags, captions...) is better. So, you'll have to select the catalog of the PSE15 files in our example, select all the files (Ctrl All) and write metadata to files (Ctrl W) to write all your tags and captions to the files themselves. That way, the photos will be imported  with all their tags and captions.

If that is not clear, please come back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 07, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

I don't really know where the newer photos are on my PC, although I can find them using File Explorer(?).

1)  Since I backed up the newer photos on to my external H/D, surely should I 'Restore' from this, thus making sure tags etc. are kept? (There's no sign of any tags when photos are viewed via File Explorer.)

2)  If I create a new folder, as I did before doing the PSE 11 'Restore', can I 'Restore' the newer photos to it?  Though how would I toggle between these two folders when I open PSE 15?

3)  Or should I 'Restore' to the same folder I created for my PSE 11 'Restore'?  From what you say above, that should work: all the photos, older and newer should then be in the same folder and all visible in the list.

Thanks for all your help,

Thomas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2019 0
Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas,

I don't really know where the newer photos are on my PC, although I can find them using File Explorer(?).

Yes you know... they are where you see them in the File Explorer. You can't see them in the catalog restored from your old PSE version, but they must be seen from another catalog when you imported them in PSE15.

If you want to see them in the restored catalog, simply import them from the location you see them in the File Explorer. No need to restore them since they are available for re-import.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2019 0