Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Map Error in PSE 2019 (PSE 17)

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have just started using PSE 2019. I am transferring all my photos (about 5000) from Picasa.

I have tagged all the people, events and added any keyword tags I needed to catalogue my photos.

I am now working on Places.

I have discovered a major error in the Mapbox map which PSE 2019 is using, at least in regard to Cork City, Ireland, where I live and also County Cork.

When I enter a street name for a place in Cork City, all I am offered is Cork, Ireland. The photos are then located in a suburb of Cork called Mayfield. If I edit the location and drag the photos to the correct street and get location it gives me the name of the approximate area, but not a street name.

It has taken me sometime, but I have finally worked out that for Cork City the Mapbox map is using the name of the nearest Police Station (or Garda Station as they are called in Ireland)

For instance, if I drag a photo to Grand Parade, Cork, the location is set as Anglesea Street, Cork, which is a Garda Station.

If I drag the photo a street away, the location changes to Bridewell, Cork, another Garda Station.

This is the case in all photos I am placing in and around Cork.

How can I draw this issue to the appropriate Adobe persons to have it corrected?

Regards, Richard King

As an addendum I think a large part of the locations throughout Ireland are based on the local Garda Station

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Richard,

How can I draw this issue to the appropriate Adobe persons to have it corrected?

Obviously, you can't... because the maps are not at all created and managed by Adobe. Adobe only creates links, bridges to cooperate with an external map provider. That map provider will offer not only the maps, but the geographical descriptions and names. Those descriptions will come with their own places hierarchies.

It seems Adobe has changed its map provider for the third time.

Elements Organizer 2019 with Mapbox not Google Maps

Just try to ask someone at Google Maps to change the way they manage their maps...

On the other hand, the big problem for organizer users is to have the locations hierarchy correspond to the tags system in the catalog. That has always been a big problem as well as the issues with Google (old versions of Elements no longer work with Google Maps!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel,

I have managed to report the error to the MapBox web site, so it will be interesting to see if there is any reaction.

The irritating thing is that their maps show the street name in Cork quite correctly, but when I ask for the location it is the name of the police district rather than the street name.

I can work around the problem for now by creating keyword tags under a My Places category for the important locations.

Custom Names don't work, because if I enter the proper street name that way, all photos for the particular police district get that custom name. regardless of the street name.

Google Maps, while more accurate, seem to have changed their terms and conditions for using their APIs. Tools I have previously used, such as GeoSetter, now have "For Demonstration Purposes Only" across the maps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having issues with MapBox in the trial version of Elements 2019.

• I am having to re tag photos for almost every version of Elements I have bought which is so annoying when the catalog has 50,000 plus items!
  • The geotag remains unchanged in the older versions of Elements as I double checked with Geosetter but when I open all my Thai photos in 2019, they all revert to Bangkok - not very useful
  • I find the map quality within MapBox very poor in places - is anyone else having this issue?
  • Sorry, I think some features in the 2019 version have gone backwards

Regards Katherine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the problem Richard. It works OK for me with UK streets, possibly based on Ordnance Survey data. I’m not sure which Irish base mapping is being used. I tried dragging a photo to Washington St and St Augustine St and they were both tagged Bridewell. It will be interesting to hear if MapBox get back to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will be there a tutorial for the new maps function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have found it extremely difficult to work with adding "Places" tags to photos in PSE 2019 and MapBox. It seems that you cannot add a location to a photo using MapBox unless you accept MapBox's suggested data, and often times this is not how I want to tag the photo. The problem is sometimes compounded when you try to edit, or delete, the location on one photo and end up affecting other previously tagged photos because of the hierarchy of the tagging system. I currently just unpin the affected photos and try to re-enter the location with editable tags. Sometimes this works but not always and it is very time consuming. It would be nice if you had the choice to just type in the text you want, drag it to a spot on the map and have it show up as you have typed on you your photo tags.

If anyone has a solution or has heard back from MapBox or Adobe, please post the response. Thanks

Rick I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just bought PSE 19 having discovered that places no longer works in previous versions. My camera adds GPS data to my pictures yet most of them are not being recognised, appearing as 'unpinned'. the sole reason I upgraded was to continue using the GPS data to track my precise route when I am out with my camera. Does anyone know of a solution please?

When I opened my catalogue I just did a simple convert using the program, I wondered if I deleted and did a full restore from the backup it might help?

As I have about 50 000 photos in various albums its going to take me forever!

Sorry to jump in on this thread but couldn't work out how to start a new one, and its sort of relevant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm using windows and Elements 2019. When I try to move the place pin, it only moves the whole screen. I am not able to actually put the pin where it should be as Google has decided where it is. Is there any way to move the pin or am I stuck? I have tried to use ctrl, fn, alt, and the space bar in conjunction to the mouse pad. Any help would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I too am having problems with MapBox in PSE19, as despite being able to see places on the map, and typing that name into the map search box, it does not come up as a valid selection, e.g. Langford Lodge Airport (in Northern Ireland) does not appear in the list.   Attempting to drag and drop the photo onto the airport results in  "Error Adding Location Information".   Typing the postcode BT29 4RT results in Place "" not found, even though the Post Office postcode finder gives that as the address of a company which currently occupies that site.

I have also found that some of the map information is about 2 years out of date, still listing places in Sheffield that closed about that time.

There is also a problem with renaming places, as the rename happens at too high a level, e.g. resulting in Sheffield being renamed as a restaurant !

All in all this mapping facility is a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Large cities and well known places do not appear in the drop down list. It's also very slow when responding to entries. Maybe it's my internet. The places feature is nice but somewhat useless for tagging places with this issue.

On the map where the photos are located there is an option to add a custom name to the photo which is nice to have. However, that option is greyed out. Does anyone have an answer for that?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problems with the level to which images can be linked.  For instance 'Charlestown' shows as 'Charlestown, Manchester., Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom' 5 levels implied, but when I accepot that and then try to find it in the Places series, it just shows as 'Manchester' - totally useless.  I raised this for PSE17 and have done so again on a new chat asking Adobe to advise what they have done - I suspect nothing.  Going back to the old non-Geo system would be better that what we currently have. Not all change is progress, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Similar problems with the level to which images can be linked.  For instance 'Charlestown' shows as 'Charlestown, Manchester., Greater Manchester, England, United Kingdom' 5 levels implied, but when I accepot that and then try to find it in the Places series, it just shows as 'Manchester' - totally useless.  I raised this for PSE17 and have done so again on a new chat asking Adobe to advise what they have done - I suspect nothing.  Going back to the old non-Geo system would be better that what we currently have. Not all change is progress, Adobe!"

Sweepling,

Also look at your other post:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had issues with maps and adding locations also.   Found solution here:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/i-can-t-get-the-the-map-view-to-work-in-quot-place...

I am unable to add location or see pins if my laptop is in docking station or connected to external monitor.  When it is by itself, I can do both with no problems,  Not sure if you use dock/monitor or not, but if you do, this might be worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines