Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Marking photo's in Photoshop Elements (2019) don't show in Organizer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I organise my photos in Elements Organizer 2019, then I open my photo's in Elements Editor Camera Raw (11.1) and for example there I just and delete and mark my photos with stars to mark their quality. When I return to organizer via the button 'done' the starts are not showing in Elements Organizer. Why is this and is there a setting that allows them to be transferred tot Organizers database? Another thing is the fact that when I mark a photo in Camera Raw as deleted it will be deleted from the HDD but still shows in Organizer. So I have to delete it from my catalog manually. Is there a way to let this happen automatically when you return from Camera Raw to the Organizer?

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PBS67  wrote

Hi there,

I organise my photos in Elements Organizer 2019, then I open my photo's in Elements Editor Camera Raw (11.1) and for example there I just and delete and mark my photos with stars to mark their quality. When I return to organizer via the button 'done' the starts are not showing in Elements Organizer. Why is this and is there a setting that allows them to be transferred tot Organizers database? Another thing is the fact that when I mark a photo in Camera Raw as deleted it will be deleted from the HDD but still shows in Organizer. So I have to delete it from my catalog manually. Is there a way to let this happen automatically when you return from Camera Raw to the Organizer?

Paul

Paul,

What I can't understand at all is how you can:

- delete

- mark photos with stars

- tag them for deletion

While you are editing a photo in the ACR dialog?

None of those operations are available from within the ACR version of PSE.

Do you switch to the organizer for those tasks while editing the same photos in ACR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michel,

All these operations are possible in the ACR-program. I’m using ACR from 2008 and always used it to mark and delete photos.

When I open the ACR from the Organizer then it opens ACR and then I edit the basic properties via ACR and also mark or delete the photos there. What happens when I return to the Organizer via the button ‘done’ in ACR the photos which I selected als to delete are deleted from the HDD but stay in tje catalog I use in the Organizer. The other markings as coloured labels or asterisk 1 to 5 do not show up in the Organizer

Paul

Op 27 jan. 2019, om 14:21 heeft MichelBParis <forums_noreply@adobe.com> het volgende geschreven:

Marking photo's in Photoshop Elements (2019) don't show in Organizer

created by MichelBParis <https://forums.adobe.com/people/MichelBParis> in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/10895075#10895075>

PBS67 <https://forums.adobe.com/people/PBS67> wrote

Hi there,

Paul

Paul,

What I can't understand at all is how you can:

- delete

- mark photos with stars

- tag them for deletion

While you are editing a photo in the ACR dialog?

None of those operations are available from within the ACR version of PSE.

Do you switch to the organizer for those tasks while editing the same photos in ACR?

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10895075#10895075 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10895075#10895075

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Elements by email <mailto:discussions-community-photoshop_elements@adobe-v8.hosted.jivesoftware.com> or at Adobe Community <https://forums.adobe.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=3347>

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624 <https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624>.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe <https://forums.adobe.com/unsubscribe.jspa?email=pbiester%40gmx.net&token=d63e53e4628623db585e1cc1184491c382b913c8cbad6c6f39ff1bd91fa58f63> instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences <https://forums.adobe.com/user-preferences!input.jspa>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't answer via email, you can see how your post looks like here, better use the forum directly.

All these operations are possible in the ACR-program. I’m using ACR from 2008 and always used it to mark and delete photos.

No.

Just send a screenshot and explain how you can do this from within the ACR dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

Here a screenshot of the screen I get when I open the editor from the organizers workspace using the button on the bottom of the screen as shown beneath (button Editor).

As you can see on the left one photo is marked with one and the other with two stars, those stars do not appear when I return to the organizer workspace.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the screenshot.

I was convinced this would bring an explanation.

I did not check before the star rating you can see in the ACR dialog in the film strip. By the way you can't see nor access the stars when you are editing a single raw file instead of a filmstrip. I did not notice their presence before because in Elements, only the conversion data (sliders) are taken into account in the ACR module, nothing related to organization in the organizer. It has been a surprise to see that it's possible to edit the stars within the ACR dialog. The explanation is probably that the ACR version in Elements is a reduced version of the full ACR in Photoshop, where star ratings are not managed in catalogs. To confirm this hypothesis, I just checked that changing the star rating in the ACR dialog has absolutely no effect on the star rating in your catalog in the organizer, but that it updates the star rating in the IPTC section of the metadata of the raw file. That's something you can check when you open the file in the editor (File > File Info...)

Remember that usually, the star rating set in the organizer is not "written to file" automatically, you have to use the command or the Ctrl W shortcut for the purpose.

For the second screenshot, if you can access it, that means you are leaving the ACR dialog and you are in the organizer. My question is: how do you mark the file as deleted from the organizer within the ACR dialog? If you use the bottom icons bar, you have switched to the organizer. You should not been allowed to delete a file which is opened in the editor or the ACR dialog (explicit error message in that case)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herby again the picture of the buttons at the bottom of the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Marking a photo for deletion is done either by using the button in the top row of buttons in ACR or just select the photo in the left column of ACR and press Delete button on your keyboard.

Further I think the 'problem'  is that Adobe designed the Organizer 2019 in such a way that it just works with its own database and when you go to ACR this program manages all modifications you make in the xmp-files that are accompany all photos. When you return to the Organizer only a part of the information is transferred tot de database. So I think we have to live with the fact that using stars to mark the photos and deleting them is to be done in the Organizer and changing exposure and contrast etc. is to be don in ACR.

I have to say that the workflow in the old situation when I was using Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 with Bridge and ACR (7.0) was working faster and in my opinion easier. But when I bought a new camera the old ACR did not recognise the NEF files anymore so I was forced tot switch to the newer version and so we see that new programs ar not always better than the old ones.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PBS67  wrote

Hello,

Marking a photo for deletion is done either by using the button in the top row of buttons in ACR or just select the photo in the left column of ACR and press Delete button on your keyboard.

Paul,

Thanks for this explanation. True, if I hit 'Del', a few seconds later I get the deleted sign plus a message. There is no chance any organizer user will notice this "legacy feature". The result is disastrous and the feature should not be allowed in the ACR version of Elements. The issue is that the ACR version in Elements is a stripped down one of the full ACR version in Photoshop. Only a single version of Elements in Macs did use Bridge years ago, so only those very few users will know how to use it.

Further I think the 'problem'  is that Adobe designed the Organizer 2019 in such a way that it just works with its own database and when you go to ACR this program manages all modifications you make in the xmp-files that are accompany all photos. When you return to the Organizer only a part of the information is transferred tot de database. So I think we have to live with the fact that using stars to mark the photos and deleting them is to be done in the Organizer and changing exposure and contrast etc. is to be don in ACR.

I have to say that the workflow in the old situation when I was using Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 with Bridge and ACR (7.0) was working faster and in my opinion easier. But when I bought a new camera the old ACR did not recognise the NEF files anymore so I was forced tot switch to the newer version and so we see that new programs ar not always better than the old ones.

All Elements versions with the organizer don't need those buttons and stars.

It's true that Elements uses three integrated modules.

The editor is the pixel editor.

The organizer does all organization and is much more powerful than Bridge.

The ACR converts and edits non destructively. It's only use for organization is the 'Save' button to convert to the DNG raw format (without any action on the catalogs of the organizer).

So, don't try to organize from ACR: it's like trying to organize from the Finder or Explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,

I think we can stop now with de discussion, thanks foor taking time to respond. Just one little thing, I was not using ACR to organise but I found it very helpful to select more photos in Bridge, then goto ACR, this was working much faster via Bridge then via the Organizer. After that I could browse the photos in ACR, correct them if necessary and mark them with the color labels or asterisks and mark them for deletion. When I clicked 'done' I got back in Bridge and the deleted photos were gone and the markings of color and asterisks were visible in Bridge. You could also see that a photo was edited in ACR because there was a small marking in the previews that showed you this, I miss this in the current Organizer. So still I say that the new program is not better than Bridge. Of course there are some nice features as the world map showing you photos where they were shot and the face recognition is helpful but still...

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PBS67  wrote

Hi Michel,

I think we can stop now with de discussion, thanks foor taking time to respond

Paul,

This is a public forum, and the contents of this discussion may be of much interest for some other users. So you are free to leave the discussion here, but it's good to keep it going if something interesting and new can be added.

On the other hand, did you know that you still can use Bridge with Elements?

https://prodesigntools.com/free-adobe-bridge-cc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines