Highlighted

Marquee Tool not working!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am having problems with the marquee tool, when creating an oval vignette the back background/foreground colour changes to black and white when I add a new fill layer, and nothing happens when I try to create an oval vignette, the rectangular tool doesn't work either. I have flattened the layer and the image is in RGB mode.

I have had this problem before but can't remember how I resolved the issue. I have tried other photos and have  closed down but it is still the same. I am using PSE v.14 This is causing me some frustration as I restore and colour old photos as a hobby and this is a function that I use regularly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carol

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Marquee Tool not working!

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am having problems with the marquee tool, when creating an oval vignette the back background/foreground colour changes to black and white when I add a new fill layer, and nothing happens when I try to create an oval vignette, the rectangular tool doesn't work either. I have flattened the layer and the image is in RGB mode.

I have had this problem before but can't remember how I resolved the issue. I have tried other photos and have  closed down but it is still the same. I am using PSE v.14 This is causing me some frustration as I restore and colour old photos as a hobby and this is a function that I use regularly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carol

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 09, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop Elements from Photoshop

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2019 0
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carolb4852293  wrote

I have had this problem before but can't remember how I resolved the issue.

Perhaps you reset the tool. On the tool's option bar, look for a box with lines in it, bottom right. Click to reset.

If that does not fix it, reset preferences to default. To do that, go to Edit>Preferences>General and look for this:

Preferences_2.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi...Thanks for your reply..have tried that and now I get this message:

Could not load the styles because there is not enough memory ( Ram)

I remember I did this last time and got the same error message, I have the instructions written down to solve this one though.

Carol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sorted the Memory(Ram) issue but I'm back where I started now with the marquee tool not working!

Carol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2019 0
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows or Mac? If Windows, which version? Any recent updates? Did the problem(s) that you encounter become manifest  in April 2018  or May 2018?

How did you "sort" the memory (Ram) issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win10 and not had any recent updates, not sure but May 18 could be right:

By overriding the physical memory MB in Regedit

Carol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2019 0
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your helpful responses, I have done this before on a different issue. Will give this a try and let you know.

I appreciate all your help.

Carol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 09, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear....That didn't work. Don't what else to try...Background foreground colour doesn't seems to be responding, when choosing a colour for a new layer with the colour picker...it changes colour but when I use the fill selection command it changes to black and white.

So frustrated as I restore and colour old photos as a hobby and this is a function that I use regularly.

Carol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 10, 2019 0
Mentor ,
Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carol, please be very specific about the steps leading to the problem.

Also provide a screenshot of your PSE work area, including the open layers palette.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 11, 2019 0