• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

masking

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the last time... I have SO had it up to hear [picture me with my hand up above my head] with mask layers. I can understand everything about layers, but to make a mask layer??? It is simply WAY beyond anything I have ever experienced, in that it is the most unstable, unusable, and most illogical process I have ever seen in post processing. For those folks who can make masks work for you, then may the gods bless you and keep you busy with that. I only see it as a product of an insane software developer who whole intention was to create the equivalent of a 120 word crossword with one word clues written in Latin.
I just cant see myself every understanding a process that brings me to the very edge of understanding more times than I can remember, only to suddenly have me plunge back into ZERO function.
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draco!  While I was typing the above, you came back!  Excellent  🤗  I will keep my fingers crossed for you. 🤞🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok.... to the  point, eventually. There  are people, like  me, who have a  mental block about certain functions.

For  example  my wife plays  the  card  game Canasta, and  has  played  it successfully for  many years. I have  NEVER  been able  to grasp the  concept of  that game.

The  same  has  applied to the  masking process in PSE.

Note that I used  the  past tense  in that sentence.

First of all, I came  to this forum to vent my frustration, without the  expectation of  such a  group of  individuals such as  yourselves  willing to persist with your  efforts to help me.

I intended to wave my "SCREW THIS" sign and as  one  of  you stated; leave  the  building.

Although you, Greg, were essentially a "keystone in the  bridge" in this adventure, I have  to credit all of  you.

In PSE the  ability to "APPLY LAYER" is  in a seperate menu window from the  applicable menu options that indicate  merging visible, merging down, merge  all layers. That seperate  window does not even use  the  word merge. Rather  it says apply layer. It doesnt say, apply or  merge  masked layer.

For  so many years this  ambigious logic  escaped  me. Obviously I would always  go to the  bottom of  the  layer  window where the  software would provide  the  above  mentioned "MERGE" options. In my extraterrestial logic [the  term applied  by my daughter, who often asks what planet did  I come  from] the  ONLY options available  was where the  program indicated merge  options, and  NOT apply layer, under  a  seperate menu window.

So at this time, I am not going to finger  point at Adobe, regardless  of  this twisted  logic [my opinon] and  just accept that I had an extraterrestial moment for  the  last 8 years.

So after  an 8 years love/hate relationship with this  process, I finally have a solution; and  now I can move  on with ideas  and  projects that have  sat in limbo for  8 years.

Thank you again to all of  you, for  your valuable assistance and encouragement!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HUZZAH!!! 🤣🤣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best news I've heard all day!  🥳

Adobe has a way of spreading related commands all over its interface.  The Photoshop/Elements clone, Affinity Photo, is praised by terrestrials and aliens alike for grouping commands in a more logical and efficient manner.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so... just to bring up everyone  up to speed once  again. First of  all thank you again for  your  help, but it was  only a  very insignificant victory.

I actually was  able to mask, apply mask and merge  to a final image, albeit rough, just so that I could see  the  process work. I took a break for  a couple of  days; came  back today to try something else. I was  able  to apply the  mask to a given image, and  right  there everything went south again with nothing but the  original image when I attempted to merge the  masked  image with another  image. SO I am going to "leave  the  building" on this process. I have  given up on this. I will stay with the tried  and true  process of make a  selection on a  duplicate  image; cut it out and  merge with another image. I am obviously never  going to fully understand  the  process no matter  what anyone  tells  me to do, or  whatever  I attempt to do. Once  again to those  folks  who have  mastered this, I applaud  you. You have  managed  to accomplished  what my brain just CANNOT understand. Once  again I appeciate  the  effort from everyone but this  is  the  end  of  that road for  me.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're back! 🤣

I don't believe you Draco55...

Either you didnt actually apply the mask ... OR... you still somewhere had the original image on another layer maybe that got mixed back in with the merge

You should really try share some screenshots .... you have to do things a few times before they click! 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines