Around September 2019 my computer would start to hang. The red disk light was on and there was no mouse pointer on the screen and ctrl-ald-del had no effect. The PC appeared to be locked up. This would happen on a regular basis. In the end I decided that it must be something to do with the hardware and as the PC was about 4 years old I decided to buy a new one. I spent a healthy amount of money on a new upgraded PC but after I loaded PSE19 on to it I got exactly the same problem. After many weeks of trying to solve the problem I turned off Media Analysis and now I get no further PC freezes. In the latter part of my investigation I did manage to identify that PSE would ramp up to 100% disk access and almost 100% RAM (32GB) before the freeze occurred. Perhaps if I had left my PC on for a few days it would have sorted itself out but I tend to turn it off after a session. It would be useful, I think, for Adobe to put a throttle on Media-Analysis so that it was limited to say 25% of system resources - even when the PC is in idle.
Sorry that Photoshop Elements 2019 is freezing as Media analysis is using large amount of memory and not working as expected.
Would you mind checking this discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/faq-what-is-auto-analysis-or-why-does-organizer-fr... and let us know if that helps?
Let us know how it goes.
Thanks for your reply Akash but, as I said in my original post, I have now disabled media analysis and that has cured the problem. The point of my post was that this is a problem with PSE that ought to be fixed. It is not acceptable for one application to steal all the resources so that the PC appears to freeze and not even be resplonsive to mouse movements or ctrl-alt-del.
Megagrumpiness, no one would disagree that something is wrong and that something needs to be done about it. I'm totally with you. In the end however, more than likely, you're going to find that the eventual solution will have little, if anything, to do with any shortcomings of PSE out of the box.
Enter the furious customer who returns tropical fish to the Pet Shop because they all died less than 24 hrs after purchase. Never mind the pH, phosphate levels, nitrite and nitrate levels, concentration of ammonia, oxygen level, and temperature of the water that the customer put them in. That isn't to say that you own blame for any of this personally. No, that's not what I'm saying at all.
What I'm saying is that, while you aren't the first person to report this problem, it's also true that it hasn't been reported on a widespread scale. My media-analysis is fully checked on Win10, PSE 2019 and it's been a smooth ride for me. This simply doesn't affect all users of your PSE version on your OS version or Adobe would never have released it. Not a chance in hell.
This does NOT mean we won't do our collective best to help you find a solution. That's why we're here and, if you weren't aware, with rare exceptions, none of us are compensated in any way for our time or effort. We're mostly experienced and knowledgeable volunteers with a desire to learn more and offer solutions but we don't know everything yet. Working on it.
This was the second time that I had gone back to the petshop with a load of deadfish. The first time I had put them into an aquarium that was flourishing with corals growing and a good collection of beauriful underwater plants as well as a happy collection of Guppys, Gouramis, Zebra fish, Black Mollys, a couple of catfish and a beautiful Siamese fighting fish. As soon as I added the new tropical fish the whole aquarium died out. The other fish all died, the plants died but I manage to save the fish that I had bought from the pet shop. The second time I bought a brand new, much bigger aquarium with all the latest gadgets. Additional filtration, more plants, better lighting etc. To make sure nothing else was causing the problem I did not put any other fish in but only the ones that I had bought from the pet shop. The same thing happened. I went t othe petshop and they told me that they had never had any problems with any of their other customers so, at this point I began to think that maybe the problem was caused by one of the fish but not all of them. So I separated them into groups to see what would happen. That is where I am now.
How many media files do you have in your catalog. Which media analysis causes this issue(Face Recognition or Smart Tags, Autocuration and Autocreation)?
I have disabled the smart tags and Auto-Curate and the Generate Auto Creations and everything seems to work OK with Face recognition on. My Preferences screenshot is a bit different from yours either because I am a version behind or you are showing the PS version and I am using Elements. I have approx 29,000 photos and videos with 108GB of photos and short phone videos and 380GB of longer vdeos. I strongly suspect, having read up on the various forums and Adobe help articles, that it is the longer videos that are causing the problem as Adobe tries to break them down into clips. Next state is to enable the analysis for photos and not videos and see what that does.
I tried to add in a screenshot here but I could not get it to work!