Move catalogs (PSE 2019) from PC computer to PSE 2021 running on Mac computer & external SSD

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC computer is running PSE15 for one catalog and PSE2019 for the 2nd catalog. I plan to install PSE2021 on the PC & keep this computer as my main work computer. I think this setup involves simple backups and restore to install PSE 2021 with the two catalogs.

I have recently purchased a 2020 Macbook Air M1 with a 512GB internal SSD.and an external 1TB SSD. I want to copy the 2 catalog backups and their associated original photo files to the Mac external SSD. I have already downloaded PSE 2021 on the Mac internal SSD and it runs fine using a few test photos.

My question is how to install PSE2021 to run on the internal SSD of the Mac but with all the other files for the two imported catalogs on the external SSD. What is the difference between 'convert' & 'restore' when creating new catalogs?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020
@meg576  My question is how to install PSE2021 to run on the internal SSD of the Mac but with all the other files for the two imported catalogs on the external SSD. What is the difference between 'convert' & 'restore' when creating new catalogs? Let's start with "Convert". Each new version of the Organizer brings changes in the structure of the database and the catalog folder. You have to "convert" old catalogs to the structure of the new version. All the info in the old catalog is kept and tran...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@meg576 

My question is how to install PSE2021 to run on the internal SSD of the Mac but with all the other files for the two imported catalogs on the external SSD. What is the difference between 'convert' & 'restore' when creating new catalogs?

Let's start with "Convert".

Each new version of the Organizer brings changes in the structure of the database and the catalog folder. You have to "convert" old catalogs to the structure of the new version. All the info in the old catalog is kept and translated in the new format. Nothing is changed in the photo/video files themselves.

You have to convert when upgrading to a new format on the same computer: you get a prompt to do it when installing the new organizer version.

The backup and restore is meant to save both your images with their tree structure AND your catalog WHILE keeping the links in the catalog database to the new destination drive of the restore. This allows restoring on the same computer and location OR in another computer or drive or master folder. As a result,

- the files folder tree is recreated on the destination drive

- The catalog folder is recreated also on the destination drive

- it is UPDATED to link to the new location of each photo file

- if necessary it is automatically CONVERTED to the new format.

As indicated above, the restored catalog folder is now on the destination drive. You can choose to move the catalog folder from the destination drive to the default location on the master folder.

However, it seems that you want to share the same catalog and the files on the external drive either from the PC or from the Mac.

With Windows only, it's enough to keep the restored catalog on the external drive and to plug it alternatively to two computers.

With Windows and Mac, I don't know how you can share in that way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your quick reply MichelBParis.  You have clarified very well the meanings of 'convert' & 'restore'. I don't think I  will be able to share the data on the SSD between Mac & PC other than to use the external SSD solely to make the original transfer of data from the PC to the Mac. When that is done, I will run the two computers independently of each other. Despite the high investment cost of the hardware & software, the Mac will make it possible to view whatever I have in PSE 2021 on the Mac in a portable device.  This plan is what happens when COVID grounds me from doing other things and helps to keep my mind active in a problem-solving way!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines