Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move elements photos / catalogs to different location on same computer

Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish to move my elements photos / catalogs to a different location on the same computer in order to facilitate the use of cloud storage.

TOPICS
Actions , How to , Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use of cloud storage? Which solution?

It's possible to move the photo files and/or the catalog folders in various ways, mainly:

- by backup and restore on new custom master folder

- by moving files from the folder tree panel in the organizer and moving the catalog folder externally by the explorer.

Not sure those solutions work with your cloud solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cloud solution proposed is dropbox. Interested in further info concerning the "moving the catalog folder externally by the explorer" How do I identify the catalog folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another question concerning the backup process - this would seem to produce two indentical catalog files. Won't the program (Elements) act adversely to two catalog files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use of Dropbox:

That's something I do, but my choice is to store only a small selection of my files for access on any device anywhere, particularly recent events to browse on my smrtphone. I always keep my catalog and photo files folders on an external disk to be able to work anywhere on a second computer without even web connection. That way, I don't need a pro account on Dropbox.

I add and remove files selectively in the Dropbox synced folder, knowing that there is practically no way to store, update and use the catalog itself on another computer. Using albums in Dropbox is my basic way to organize my shared pictures. If I stored the catalog folder itself and restored it on the second computer it would not point to the Dropbox folder of the other computer. All files would be disconnected.

Backup and restore process:

It produces a copy of both the files folders tree and the catalog folder on a custom location. It's the usual way to move to a new computer or to duplicate on another computer, drive or master folder. The restored catalog folder will be under the custom master folder for the restore. You can move (or copy) it anywhere else from the explorer or move it back to default location from the catalog manager.

As explained above, if you restore within the Dropbox folder of the main computer, the synced folder of the second computer will show all files as disconnected. Of course that would duplicate everything on the original computer, which is not something you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your thoughtful responses.  One more observation - I have tried to do some testing of this process on a second computer.  I made a backup of a catalog and then restored it to the same computer just a different location.  I observe that when I restore that catalog, the original catalog is eliminated - pictures are still there, just no catalog.  Does this jive with your understanding of the system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The originals should be untouched. A full backup and restore simply duplicates the photos and catalog by copying to your new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"The originals should be untouched. A full backup and restore simply duplicates the photos and catalog by copying to your new location."

Yes, but the catalog folder is not simply copied, it's also updated to point to the new location of the restore, which can be on a different computer, drive or master folder on the original drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I made a backup of a catalog and then restored it to the same computer just a different location. I observe that when I restore that catalog, the original catalog is eliminated - pictures are still there, just no catalog. Does this jive with your understanding of the system?"

The original catalog as well as the original files are untouched.

A new catalog has been created in its own folder under the master folder for the restore.  You have two working and available catatogs pointing to their own media files folder tree. It's not a simple copy, the new catalog folder copy has been updated to point to the restored media files. Both pairs of catalog/media libraries are independent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines