• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move only one layer in a group?

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several layers with one photo in each layer. These layers are grouped. I now want to move one photo but when I try do do so all grouped layers (photos) are moved. Is there a way to move only one layer in grouped layers?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

One way is to uncheck Auto Select Layer in the Move Tool options, click on the layer in the

layers panel and then drag on the object in the document area.

grop.png

Or instead of turning off Auto Select Layer you can click on the layer in the layers panel, then hold down the Ctrl key while moving the object in the document area.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course we don't know the maneuver which you used to "group" the photos. Did you flatten or merge down the layers? What shows up in the Layers palette?

Which file format did you use to save the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I grouped the layers by selecting them and dragging them to the group icon. I did not flatten or merge layers.

See screenshot for the layers palette.

I used the psd format to save the file.

2020-10-26 15_46_27-Question.psd.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grouping and ungrouping layers is a full Photoshop feature which has been introduced in PSE15.

@Irenemartine 

Which is your present Elements version and from which software and version does your file come from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My elements version is 15 and is created in 15. The file was saved as psd. 2020-10-26 15_46_27-Question.psd.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I don't understand this answer. I know how to create and use clipping masks, but I have not used clipping masks in my example, only several layers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using layer groups very often, but in similar cases I can move individual layers within or outside the containing group. I am interested in what other users can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way is to uncheck Auto Select Layer in the Move Tool options, click on the layer in the

layers panel and then drag on the object in the document area.

grop.png

Or instead of turning off Auto Select Layer you can click on the layer in the layers panel, then hold down the Ctrl key while moving the object in the document area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! Thought I tried the Ctrl-move, but obviously not.

When you know what to do it's easy 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines