• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Files to New PC New Drive

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have bought a Windows 10machine with a C and D drive. My plan us to use the D drive as the Data/Photo/Video drive.

I currently am on PSE Premier 15 on the older PC which is just a C drive.

I plan to get the 2019 version of PSE after I transfer the files.  Somewhere I have read that the data for PSE has to go to the same drive? My concern is that

with the size of my files I have opted for a 4TB D drive.  I have done the backup, so I am looking for the steps I need to take to get the old C drive files to the new D drive system, then load a new version of PSE on the new system.  Just want to be sure everything is connected.

Thanks for the advice and input

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

We need to know a little bit more information in order to give you the best solution.

But first, I don't know where you got the idea that the data for PSE has to go to the same drive.  In my view, you are using the best approach by putting your media files on a separate drive.  I don't know whether you have 2 physical drives or 2 partitions on 1 drive.  Two physical drives would be better, but certainly using two partitions is better than having everything on the C:\ drive.

What have you done so f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to know a little bit more information in order to give you the best solution.

But first, I don't know where you got the idea that the data for PSE has to go to the same drive.  In my view, you are using the best approach by putting your media files on a separate drive.  I don't know whether you have 2 physical drives or 2 partitions on 1 drive.  Two physical drives would be better, but certainly using two partitions is better than having everything on the C:\ drive.

What have you done so far in terms of transferring files?  What backup did you use?  A general backup for all your files or an Elements Backup of your catalog.  How are you transferring the files form one computer to the other (external or network drive)?

Essentially, you need to backup the Elements 15 Catalog on the old computer and restore it to the new one, (without transferring the media separately).  If that is not feasible, I will provide more details about how to approach this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will go down your questions, thanks for taking the time to reply.

2 physical drives, the new system is still in the box, trying to put my game plan together.

Currently I have not started moving files, but what I have done is a FULL backup of the PSE 15 catalog. I guess what my brain struggles with is the path to putting the existing files on the system. (Load PSE 2019, then restore the Backup of the Catalog from 15, then transfer the picture files and folders?)

the backup is on a MyPassport external drive.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect.  Here is what I would do.

First, set up your new computer. Next, install Elements 2019 on the new PC. Finally, restore your backup from the 2019 File menu.

The restore process will give you the option to restore your media files to your D:\ drive. You should also use the option to maintain the existing folder hierarchy.  I’m not at my computer right now so I’m not sure of the exact wording of this option.

Just to be clear, the catalog backup stores both the catalog database information (tags and albums) as well as the photo and video files.  The PSE 15 catalog will also be converted to the PSE 2019 format during the restore process.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg

thanks for your input.

You have also answered that I have had for years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1 all files were transferred to new system, including PSE15 catalogs and files and system is working. Zinstall did it in one swoop. 
so my dilemma is I really want all my photos and videos on D drive, separate drive. 
I have to finish doing a full backup of  PSE 15 on external passport drive. 
I see with PSE where the new downloads go, my hope was to have them in one place, the D drive. 
then I want to go ahead and upgrade to 2020. Previous upgrade was successful only by restoring backup, not file export automatic

so I am looking for the correct procedure to accomplish

thanks for the time and thoughts 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you did not follow my earlier suggestions.  I am a little confused about the current status of your new PC.

1. Did you restore your 2015 catalog to the C: drive of your new computer?
  2. Have you installed Elements 2019 on the new computer?
  3. What catalog do you have open in 2019?  Is it the same (converted) catalog as you were using in Elements 2015 or is it a new empty one?  Or is it a new catalog that you have used to import the existing files on your C: drive?
  4. Have you installed Elements 2020 on your new PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You mention "zinstall".

Zinstall says it will transfer programs (system and apps) as well as data to a new drive.

All discussions I have seen on Adobe forums show that no such utility will work satisfactorily and that instead, you have to re-install your apps on the new computer...

So, even if you think zinstall has moved everything correctly on the new computer, I may be wrong, but I believe it has simply 'cloned' your former C drive, with probably all apps and data. In such a case, PSE/PE will work the same as before with the data on the same new main drive. Your old C drive may be called D now, but is will still have your data (video files) unless you have a way to delete them in the zinstall process.

Your organizer catalog has been copied to the new C drive. Please confirm that it does work with the media files on C.

If you select the original catalog on the now D drive, you'll get problems because each link to the media files will point to two different locations and that will completely fool the organizer.

The only easy solution I can suggest is to use another drive than the original C drive as the new D one, and to restore the backup there. The original C drive can be wiped and used as a backup drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines