Moving to a new computer PSE 19

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how to use back up and restore to move my PSE catalog but when I have upgraded my computer in the past I ended up with a mess of duplicate photos etc.

my scenario is that I am upgrading my computer but also changing fro PSE 12 to PSE 19.

i have installed PSE 19 on my new computer but want to clean up my mess on the old computer before moving anything over. I purchased a duplicate photo cleaner program to help with the mess. If I use this program to remove photos I upbelieve that I’ll then have to deal with the photos in PSE 12 that I’ll be removing but not sure how this will play out?

also, I think that part of my problem from my previous computer upgraded is that I moved my PSE catalog etc but in the whole system back up and restore the photo files were also moved and created duplicates.

Is there a better way to complete this whole process this time so it goes more smoothly?

Hope this make sense!

Thanks in advance

Judy

TOPICS
Download and install, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to the Photoshop Elements forum from Photoshop

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Greg_S. LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, your old computer has Elements 12 installed but it has a number of duplicate files that you wish to delete before moving your catalog to your new computer.  You have a duplicate file finder which you can use to delete the duplicate files.  Here is what I would suggest:

• Delete all the duplicate files from your old computer.
  • If it is available in Elements 12, use the Find>All missing files menu command.  (The earliest version that I have on my computer is Elements 14 which does have this command.) This should find all of the files that you have just deleted from your computer. 
  • Select all the found "missing" files by clicking in the grid and pressing Ctrl+A (for Windows OS).
  • Hit the delete button.  Once you click OK, the duplicate "missing" files will be removed from the catalog.
  • Backup the cleaned up catalog on the old computer using Elements 12.
  • Restore the catalog to your new machine using Elements 2019.  During the restore process, you will be given the opportunity to store the media files in your desired location on your new machine.  (I assume your new machine does not have any copies of your photos etc.)  During the restore process, the catalog will be converted to Elements 2019.

Let us know if this answers your questions or whether you need any further explanation of my suggestions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines