• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple duplicate images on import

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Elements 15 on a Windows 10 machine that has all MS updates installed. Most of my images are taken on an iPhone 7 Plus (iOS 14.0.1). Although I have been known to edit a photo or two, I primarily use Elements Organizer and this problem relates to that part of the program.

Literally every time I connect my phone to import images -- even if I've only taken 2 or 3 new pictures -- in addition to any truly unique and new files, Elements wants to import many duplicate images, varying in number from a dozen or so to hundreds of images (there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to how many duplicate images it seeks to import).

In some instances, the program seeks to give some of these duplicate files new names (by adding a "-1" or a "-2" or "-3" to the end of the filename). Some are apparently not given "new" names. In addition, Elements wants to change the dates on some of the images / movies that were originally taken weeks / months / years ago to the date of the import. Obviously, that creates a mess for the timeline organization.

I have 55,000+ images in my catalog, most of which have been tagged with names, places, events, etc. For obvious reasons, I don't want scores or hundreds of untagged duplicates added every time I connect my phone, even if I've only taken 2 or 3 new photos since my most recent import.

I have tried to delete these extra files (both from the catalog only and from my hard drive). When I do that, often Elements wants to import those files again the next time I connect my phone.

In my efforts to resolve the problem, among other things I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program; performed a full backup and restored from that backup; "repaired" and "optimized" the catalog; and changed the destination for "saved" files. None of those things has made any difference. I still see many, many duplicate images whenever I begin to perform an import.

For what it's worth, this does not seem to be an issue with importing image files from my dedicated digital camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60). With that device, only truly new and distinct images are imported when it is connected to my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unless this problem can be resolved, Elements 15 will be of no use to me. Actually it will be worse than that, because all of the hours I previously spent tagging photos in Elements 15 (and its prior iterations) will have been wasted, because I'm not aware of any other image organization program that will convert the Elements catalog AND retain the metadata such as tags. On that last phrase, I'm happy to be wrong if someone knows of a reliable photo organizing program.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Import and export , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with this particular problem, but while looking for some clues I found this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/delete-duplicate-photos-from-elements-organizer/td...

I'm obviously unsure if this can help you (I don't use import features but use another way to sync my phone) but still figured I'd share the link. Hope it can give you some hints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your email. I appreciate your help.

I have used the “visual searches” feature in Elements 15, and have also created “stacks” of images / files that are identical. The problem with both approaches is that, the next time I import photos from my iPhone, Elements tries to import some or all of those same images – all over again..

It’s very much akin to Whack-A-Mole, since Elements wants to repeatedly import some portion of the photos on my phone (again, sometimes a few files, sometimes hundreds of them) literally every time I connect my iPhone.

If I may ask, how do you get your pics off your phone and into Elements? At this point, I’m open to trying anything that works and don’t want to be constrained by the import “feature” of Elements.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If I may ask, how do you get your pics off your phone and into Elements? At this point, I’m open to trying anything that works and don’t want to be constrained by the import “feature” of Elements."

Well, what I do is use a cloud service (OneDrive to be exact) which synchronizes my phone data (parts of it) with an online cloud storage, and I have the same setup on my desktop PC. So whenever I take a picture it gets stored in a folder which then gets synched with the cloud. And when I have my desktop PC turned on that same folder gets synched there as well.

So all I had to do was to include this folder within the PS Organizer (as monitored) which settled it. I leave the synchronizing to my cloud storage drivers and let PS Organizer focus on solely that specific folder.

Now, I don't use Apple products so I don't know how this would work on that platform, but I can't help be convinced that something similar should be available there as well. Maybe MacOS itself provide options to synchronize your phone? That might also do the trick: don't rely on Organizer but your OS.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I still hope it can give you some ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your reply.

I do have OneDrive enabled on my PC, and it does automatically back up certain folders and files. (FWIW, my photos are also backed up to Shutterfly, Amazon Photos, and Google Photos. Nothing like employing belt, suspenders and staples to avoid losing valuable images.)

I will look into whether, like your phone, my iPhone will upload photos to OneDrive so they can be synced with a "watched" folder in Elements. If that works, I might be able to avoid actually connecting my phone to my PC and performing an import, perhaps resolving my problem with duplicates.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines