• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

new camera Nikon Z50

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the Adobe website, there is supposed to be a December 9 upgrade to include the Z50, but I can't find it.  Elements 2018 says I am up to date, but it won't handel NEF files.  Where can I get the update?

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Yes, I tried it out first. You download the 2020 the immediately update it and viola, you get a fully, apparently, z50-compatible version with some features I didn't have on 2018. I've already done some editing of a few images. 

I purchased from Amazon trusting their return policy and charged on Amex in case I had any support problems. They are great at pursuing money back if things don't work properly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

That's funny, the Z50 test file I downloaded yesterday opens today with my ACR 1.0.

(I did think about doing a screenshot for the error message two days ago... too late now.)

Something must have changed somewhere but I have had absolutely no update for PSE2020.

My suggestion that there was 'preliminary' support in ACR 12.0 does not explain the difference of behaviour two days after.

Good news for Z50 users, that's good to know !

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Yes I just tested and those NEF files do open in PSE 2020 with ACR 12. See image below.

To enlarge, click image, then right-click and choose open in new tab. Go to tab to see full size.

Z50.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Help menu, go to About Plugin >> Camera Raw ...

Which version do you have currently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two important things to know:

1 - faq:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/faq-will-photoshop-elements-work-with-my-camera-or...

2 - The ACR plugin in Elements is only available some time after the one of Photoshop, sometimes only in the next yearly release.

So, in your case, today no Elements version is able to be updated to the necessary ACR 12.1 plugin, even the current PSE2020. Older PSE versions will never be updated. PSE2020 users will be prompted to update when the port to Elements is ready. Using the menu Help >> Update shows the option greyed out until the version is ready.

So, as usual when you buy any* new camera, chances are that the ACR plugin is not ready.

Then, either you use the proprietary converter supplied with the camera to output tiff files,

or you download the free DNGconverter mentionned in the faq.

That standalone program (not  a plugin) batch converts a whole folder of raw files to the DNG raw format that older PSE can read and edit. An additional (but free) batch step, with same quality.

*any:

Except a number of manufacturers who are smart enough to use the DNG raw format natively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will purchasing a new version of Elements give me the ability to directly edit my camera's output? What version will have the Z50 capability?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use one of these links to download the free DNG Converter. You can use the app to convert a  whole folder of raw files in a couple of clicks.

DNG Converter for Windows

DNG Converter for Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are alternatives to "convert" Z50 "RAW" files to jpegs, but then Elements would be editing a jpeg, not the RAW. That is disappointing, particularly, when the Adobe site says that Elements does support the camera as of December. I was just in Elements and I still cannot open a RAW file directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not read the information I gave you.

First take the time to understand what a raw file is and why it's the responsability of Nikon, Canon and others to create a new format for each new camera. Why don't you protest loudly to your camera manufacturer because they chose to create a new proprietary format for your camera, instead of the standard 'raw' format that smarter manufacturers have chosen natively?

No, the DNGconverter has nothing to do with conversion from raw to jpeg. It's a raw to raw conversion.

No, what Adobe has announced is a version of ACR for Photoshop and the equivalent for Lightroom.

You would be right to protest together with all Elements users that Adobe takes too long to create a "crippled' ACR version for Elements. However, that would make sense for PSE2020 users, less so for PSE2018 knowing that only the current version can be updated. The only exception to update a previous version was one month ago, when the ACR version of PSE2019 has been updated to 11.4 Just after PSE2020 was issued... Unfortunately, version 11.4 as well as the current 12.00 for PSE2020 don't yet support the Z50.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, calm down. Let us be civil with each other. I apologize if I am misreading the "tone" of your reply, after all, all I can do is interpret the literal words.

I do know that the RAW file is a proprietary one from Nikon. I did not understand the comment that PSE was now claiming compatibility with Z50 as in only going forward. I am now in the process of downloading a copy of 2020 and hope that it will provide me with the utility that I have come to depend upon with 2018, with the added ability to read my Z50 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry and I apologize if you think my tone is too harsh.

I was only factual and it was in your interest.

Why? because there are only two solutions now:

- using your Nikon software to convert, preferably to a tiff 16 bits format which is much better than jpeg and open that tiff format in the normal pixel editor of PSE

- using the DNGconverter. You don't waste much time since you convert a whole folder at a time. You can wait until an upgrade is available for PSE2020 or wait a few years more to upgrade, since PSE2018 is already a very good version.

It's up to you to choose. I thought the second solution was in your interest.

Excuse me, if I repeat myself, but did you read that even PSE2020 does not yet have the ACR plugin 12.1 ?

Sure, it will get an update for free, but nobody knows when; a couple of months?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, PS2020 now does support the Z50.    I was told by Adobe that they do not plan to upgrade 2018. They offered to see me 2020 for $99.  I found it on Amazon for $69.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, PS2020 now does support the Z50. I was told by Adobe that they do not plan to upgrade 2018. They offered to see me 2020 for $99. I found it on Amazon for $69.

I don't own a Nikon Z50, so, before answering I downloaded a Z50 raw file to test, and that did not work. I had the message saying 'not supported' with the links to get explanation. I am on Win 10 and my PSE2020 is up to date with ACR 12.00, not ACR 12.1.

Did you really try yourself and checked your ACR version (Help >> About plugins)?

I would not trust Adobe help in this matter, so it's always best to start with a trial version before buying, especially if you get a better price elsewhere. If you are happy, you don't have to reinstall the software, you just have to enter the license number of the bought copy.

Other notes about ACR compatibility:

- Generally you can trust the links in the faq for camera and software version compatibility as well as the links for the DNGconverter (see 99jon post). However the faq is sometimes updated with some delay, so it's always good to ask in the forum for other users experience.

- On the other hand, the faq only states the 'final' version of ACR needed for a camera. It happens that a version offers 'preliminary support', which means the conversion is not yet optimal. I seem to remember that the Z50 had 'preliminary support' in the previous version.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

I don't know any way to display the previous version of that supported cameras list to check if the z50 had 'preliminary support'...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried it out first. You download the 2020 the immediately update it and viola, you get a fully, apparently, z50-compatible version with some features I didn't have on 2018. I've already done some editing of a few images. 

I purchased from Amazon trusting their return policy and charged on Amex in case I had any support problems. They are great at pursuing money back if things don't work properly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's funny, the Z50 test file I downloaded yesterday opens today with my ACR 1.0.

(I did think about doing a screenshot for the error message two days ago... too late now.)

Something must have changed somewhere but I have had absolutely no update for PSE2020.

My suggestion that there was 'preliminary' support in ACR 12.0 does not explain the difference of behaviour two days after.

Good news for Z50 users, that's good to know !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As well, as it is with so many things in life, it's not about where you started but where you finish; and so it is with photos nowadays.  As long as your camera captures relatively focused images in good lighting, Photoshop Elements can make them look like they were shot with a z50; exceptions of course, extending to professional wedding photographers, professional wildlife photogs and the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apparently PSE 2020 must automatically upload updates and once I installed it, the update occurred.  If you check your update, it probably says something like updates are up to date as of 2 mins ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I just tested and those NEF files do open in PSE 2020 with ACR 12. See image below.

To enlarge, click image, then right-click and choose open in new tab. Go to tab to see full size.

Z50.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines