• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New to this world questions for Elements 2020

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if these are questions I should know the answer to, but I am just getting into digital stuff.

1, The computer I am planning using is 32 bit operating system x64 bit processor, Windows 10. Will that work for Elements 2020?

2, My current plan for the software is to convert photos into line drawings so I can cut them on a Cricut plotter for sand blasting, I saw that it will convert the photos, I also saw it will output a PNG file, I did not see anyting about SVG files, are those supported? 

3, Another plan for this program is taking .AI files and converting them to SVG, or PNG, again for cutting on a Cricut plotter. I did not see anything about .AI files, are they supported as input files?

Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements does not support vector formats like Illustrator (AI) or SVG, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many modern apps won't run on a 32-bit system. This is probably not a good choice of computer. Here are the system requirements for Photoshop Elements, https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop-elements/system-requirements.html which shows it needs 64-bit, like most Adobe apps (including Adobe Illustrator, which handles AI files). Is this the Surface Pro X computer? So shiny, so tempting, so useless...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I was not sure about the system vs the processor saying 64. No, it's an older Dell E640ATG. I guess I will look for a new laptop, I have been needing one, but holding off as long as I can. I understand that .AI is Illustrator, but I did not see that Photoshop Elements 2020 could work with them as an input file.

Thanks for the information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading your message more closely, I see that you want to turn photos into line drawings. Not a job for Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Illustrator, on a powerful computer, and up to date 64-bit system, is what you need. Subscription only, from $20 per month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I thought the line drawing filter would do what I need. I have a friend that does this. I sent her an email asking what she uses. My plan is do things like put photos of people or pets on glass, or tile, like a pet memorial or a graduation beer mug. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The key thing is to know the difference between raster and vector. This isn't as straightforward as it might seem, because some vector formats (like PDF and SVG) can contain raster elements. A cutter or line plotter can't do anything with them. In Elements, so far as I know (and someone might correct me here), the lines are drawn but when you save the lines are turned into raster and what you save is a simple raster. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines