Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newbie needs help with changing orientation of a photo in Elements 2020

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!

I've only used Elements to do some quick cleanup of photo and now I need some help on how to change the orientation of a photo from portrait mode to landscape without having to significantly crop the image of the person in the picture.

Yesterday I took some individual photos of some people and the pictures are in portrait mode and I need to have the image flipped so I can print 4x6 pictures out for a photo book.  If I attempt to do this by cropping the image I have to crop too much of the height of the person out of the picture.  What I would really like to do is rotate the image by 90 degrees but keep most of the person in the picture as opposed to cropping.  I saw an old article for Photoshop that suggested that there was a way to do this in that product by somehow streching the left and right sides of the image which in this case is only a cream colored wall but the instructions were for that product not elements.  If there's a way to do this in Elements 2020 can someone please provide me with some really easy step by step instructons on how this can be done that a newbie like me can follow without getting lost in the details and frustrated?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advocate , Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

See what you can do with the info in here, Wchull51.  Nice and slow right?  It may not be exactly what you were thinking about but it's worth a look.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATVwWPNwikk

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019
  1. Go to File>New>blank file,and set H=4", W=6", background color to suit, and resolution the same value your photofile. This will be your background layer (canvas).
  2. Open the file with the person, and use one of the selection tools to select the person (e.g. selection brush or lasso tool)
  3. Once the selection is complete, go to Edit>copy to place it on the clipboard
  4. Go back to the blank file from step #1, and go to Edit>paste. The selected person will come in on a new layer
  5. Activate the move tool, p

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See what you can do with the info in here, Wchull51.  Nice and slow right?  It may not be exactly what you were thinking about but it's worth a look.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATVwWPNwikk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched the video that was suggested in a reply from Phinny and this video showed me exactly what I wanted to do.  Thanks so much for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Go to File>New>blank file,and set H=4", W=6", background color to suit, and resolution the same value your photofile. This will be your background layer (canvas).
  2. Open the file with the person, and use one of the selection tools to select the person (e.g. selection brush or lasso tool)
  3. Once the selection is complete, go to Edit>copy to place it on the clipboard
  4. Go back to the blank file from step #1, and go to Edit>paste. The selected person will come in on a new layer
  5. Activate the move tool, position the person, and resize using the corner handles of the bounding box. If you push/pull on the side handles you will distort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have not tried this yet as the video in a previous post solved my issue.  I will give it a shot as I want to see which way works best for me.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines