• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not Enough RAM

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PSE 14, and have, since the Microsoft upgrade in April 2018, had no ability to save the finished product I make in Photoshop.
I am running Windows 10 with 64 MB.

I guess what I am most disappointed in, is that Adobe must have hundreds of problem solvers, analysts, programmers, etc. who should be able to permit an easy fix for this problem that has stymied hundreds or even thousands of users who purchased their product in good faith.

Something that, like an MS update, could be sent when we open the PSE program:

"PSE-14 has an upgrade to fix certain problems with our program, would you like to download this now?"

I don't think that's unreasonable, given their expertise.  Everyone else seems to be able to do this with their own programs.

No, a simple registry change by the user is not the answer; it's too tricky and Microsoft warns you that you may cause other programs not to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

PSE14 was obsolete almost 3 years ago, already, and Adobe doesn't spend money on old versions, otherwise the software would cost multiple times more than it does now.  PSE17 is what will likely come out next month.

Acrobat READER is free software that helps Adobe sell the Acrobat, the payfor software that creates and edits PDFs.  The cost of sending Acrobat READER updates is part of the cost of the payfor Acrobat PDF creator software.  The updates for READER are for the current version, not older

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe NEVER updates old software to fix a problem, and in this case they didn't even push out an update the current PSE2018 version.

The registry fix is the only thing that'll work.  The warning by M$ is about someone randomly changing things hoping something will work.

The registry fix instructions show you exactly what to do.  As long as you just do those things there won't be a problem.

I would expect PSE2019 probably due out next month, will work ok with Windows 10 1803, so you wait and pay for that upgrade.

I made a slightly more detailed set of instructions, as a reply to a forum message, about how to do the registry fix if that'll help overcome your fear in getting PSE14 to work, again.  The part that might be different is the DWORD value.  In my example I use 8000 which would correspond to a computer with 8GB of RAM.  If your computer has 16GB then use 16000 or if it has 4GB then use 4000.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10399008#10399289

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Reader sends out so many 'upgrades' it's more likely to send you an update or two between the times that you use that program.
I don't think it's unreasonable for PSE 14 to send a similar update to make their program work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSE14 was obsolete almost 3 years ago, already, and Adobe doesn't spend money on old versions, otherwise the software would cost multiple times more than it does now.  PSE17 is what will likely come out next month.

Acrobat READER is free software that helps Adobe sell the Acrobat, the payfor software that creates and edits PDFs.  The cost of sending Acrobat READER updates is part of the cost of the payfor Acrobat PDF creator software.  The updates for READER are for the current version, not older versions.

There is no such pricing model for Elements that is just payfor software.  PSE14 is payfor software and got one update 3 months after it was released to fix bugs and add new camera support.  New cameras were added to Photoshop a couple more times that Elements didn't get because if it did it would cost more.

Software development is done by people who get paid to do it.  If Elements got updates after it was obsolete there would be an added cost for paying the people to do the work, and therefore Elements would have a higher price-tag.  How much more would you be willing to pay for each version of Elements so it might get updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

I went back to your original step by step instructions and was pleasantly surprised how clear it was, and it worked very well for me.
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines