Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not importing photo

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Please forgive my ignorance but I am a real newbie.

I have just imported a photo from my desktop which has loaded but I cannort view the picture, all I get is a grey square with an envelope inside. I also got this for several pictires I imported from Picasa.

I am assuming the pictures are not in the right format for Elements but is there any way to convert them?  

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file format? How did the picture file get on the desktop? I assume that you can visualize it in a viewer that was installed on your computer.

Can you open the file(s) in Editor?

Windows or Mac?

Which version of Photoshop Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry I do not know the file format.

It is a photo sent to my via What's App which I downloaded onto my desktop which I can open in my Pictures.

I have tried opening it in both Elements11 and Editor but all I get is box saying "Could not complete your request because a SOFn, DQT, or DHT JPEG marker is missing before a JPEG SOS marker."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This message points to a known issue with some jpegs coming from Whatsapp or similar social media. For some reason a special non standard exif field has been written in the descriptive metadata section of the jpegs. Elements and other apps which conforms truly to the standard don't open those file to protect you. Most simple apps simply ignore those fields.

So, to open those files in the Elements editor, first open them in any of the simple image editors already on your computer and save them with another name. Those renamed files will open in the Elements editor.

Other solution:

Open the file first in Elements with the command File >> Open in camera raw. That command used to process mainly raw files will ignore the faulty metadata field.

Once open, click 'Open in the editor' and you should get the image in your usual way.

(Just pay attention to the menu on the middle of the bottom menu: choose 8-bits and not 16-bits.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Tried the first fix by renaming but still got the same message box

When I open File I cannot find the Open in camera raw option.

I said I was a Newbie!!!

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Tried the first fix by renaming but still got the same message box

When I open File I cannot find the Open in camera raw option.

I said I was a Newbie!!!

Regards

By @drummermouse

The first solution is more intuitive: In the Windows Explorer, highlight the file, right click and choose 'open with', then select a default Windows photo editor like Paint, Photos, photo gallery...

Then use the 'Save as' menu and give another name; don't only rename, it's important to re-save.

For the second solution look here:

OpenInACR-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines