• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old 1940's negatives. How can I print a picture from them?

New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

My wife has some negatives from the 1940's that we would like to print pictures from. I have done a little research on the subject and was successful in scanning the negatives and doing some minor touch up. However, when I invert the negative it appears all washed out and the dark suit her father is wearing is covered with white flecks all over it.I don't know enough about FSE 2019 to fix that volume of editing. Can someone offer suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance anyone can offer me.

Regards,

Rod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Hi Rod

You could try camera raw sliders

File >> Open in camera raw

Select a batch of similar looking photos

On the left side of the dialog click the select all button and the settings will be applied to the whole batch simultaneously.

Experiment with the sliders in the basic tab but don’t push the black slider too far left as you will darken the overall image and may need to increase exposure.

Then go to the detail tab – see image below or click to enlarge – and try noise reduction. The luminance slid

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod

You could try camera raw sliders

File >> Open in camera raw

Select a batch of similar looking photos

On the left side of the dialog click the select all button and the settings will be applied to the whole batch simultaneously.

Experiment with the sliders in the basic tab but don’t push the black slider too far left as you will darken the overall image and may need to increase exposure.

Then go to the detail tab – see image below or click to enlarge – and try noise reduction. The luminance slider often reduces grain and gives a softer look.

When finished click the button bottom right “Open Images” and that will send them into the regular Editor where you can re-save.

ACRwed.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to everyone that has answered my question. I was able to edit the negatives and the pictures turned out fantastic and we are pleased with the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines