• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open With Photoshop Elements 13 in Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using macOS Catalina and installed PSE 2020 a couple of weeks ago. The app works fine, but now I have in "Open with" context menu two PSE options: "Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 Editor" and "Photoshop Elements 13 Editor", when I select a jpg file with right button of my mouse. I have made a clean install of Catalina on empty APFS disk, so nothing old should be there left. 

When I select PSE 13, a message comes stating that the install is damaged. Selection of PSE 2020 goes to PSE 2020. How can I remove the wrong option?

- erkki

TOPICS
Mac , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

I answer this myself, because I have had some emailing with Adobecare, thank to them. They could not say WHY the situation is this, but the useless reference to PSE 13 can be removed by the method #1 in the following article:

https://mac-how-to.gadgethacks.com/how-to/remove-duplicates-customize-open-with-menu-mac-os-x-0157100/

The files and folders in the command path cannot be found in the Finder, but nevertheless, the terminal command worked fine. 

- erkki

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I answer this myself, because I have had some emailing with Adobecare, thank to them. They could not say WHY the situation is this, but the useless reference to PSE 13 can be removed by the method #1 in the following article:

https://mac-how-to.gadgethacks.com/how-to/remove-duplicates-customize-open-with-menu-mac-os-x-015710...

The files and folders in the command path cannot be found in the Finder, but nevertheless, the terminal command worked fine. 

- erkki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I come back to this because after reboot, everything was again wrong as before. I made some more digging and now I found
the right way to proceed. The main reasons were my infrastructure and the Spotlight.

My infrastructure is: a) Mac Mini 2018 with macOS Mojave and PSE 2013 on its internal SSD, and b) an external SSD-station with macOS Catalina and PSE 2020. The external station is attached to Mac Mini with usb-c cable.

Mac's internal tool, which collects information for the Register, uses Spotlight. In its default settings Spotlight sees all volumes available, and in my case both the contents of external SSD and the contents of Mac's internal SSD. And from here the PSE 13 comes to the list of "Open With".  Now I excluded Mac's internal SSD from Spotlight indexing. Then I gave the following command, which made Mac to recollect the items for available apps:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -all local,system,user

and after that I restarted Finder with command:

killall Finder

After this the list of "Open With" was in order also after reboot. Strange thing was, that I could give the commands as a normal user, without sudo and admin password. The Open With -list was in good order also when I checked in as an admin user.

- erkki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines