Highlighted

Organiser not recognising catalogue in PSE 19

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased Elements 19 and loaded it onto a new laptop with Windows 10.  I restored a catalogue from PSE version 10, the restore seemed to work well and all of the tags and albums carried through to version 19.  The files are kept on an external hard drive, I have not saved them to my laptop.

While I was working on the catalogue I received a message saying that there had been a crash and a dialogue box asking for feedback. I only knew there had been a crash because of the message from Adobe.  

I continued working on the catalogue after the crash message and added a significant amount of new media and tags.  I did not do a restore with the new media because I intended to put all the additional files into the catalogue and then do a backup.

Yesterday I opened organiser with the external hard drive connected and the organiser did not have any of the files.  The on-screen message stated there was no media.  There are no thumbnails, catalogues, albums or tags.

I checked the external hard drive to make sure it was not the hard drive that had failed and all the files/photos are still on the drive and in the folders which are still correctly named and the photos successfully opened on the external hard drive.

Can anybody advise me re

1. Would the crash at Adobe be the reason for the catalogue disappearing in the Organiser?

2. Can I do a restore catalogue that is on an external hard drive that has not been backed up?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Organiser not recognising catalogue in PSE 19

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased Elements 19 and loaded it onto a new laptop with Windows 10.  I restored a catalogue from PSE version 10, the restore seemed to work well and all of the tags and albums carried through to version 19.  The files are kept on an external hard drive, I have not saved them to my laptop.

While I was working on the catalogue I received a message saying that there had been a crash and a dialogue box asking for feedback. I only knew there had been a crash because of the message from Adobe.  

I continued working on the catalogue after the crash message and added a significant amount of new media and tags.  I did not do a restore with the new media because I intended to put all the additional files into the catalogue and then do a backup.

Yesterday I opened organiser with the external hard drive connected and the organiser did not have any of the files.  The on-screen message stated there was no media.  There are no thumbnails, catalogues, albums or tags.

I checked the external hard drive to make sure it was not the hard drive that had failed and all the files/photos are still on the drive and in the folders which are still correctly named and the photos successfully opened on the external hard drive.

Can anybody advise me re

1. Would the crash at Adobe be the reason for the catalogue disappearing in the Organiser?

2. Can I do a restore catalogue that is on an external hard drive that has not been backed up?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 13, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is hard to say whether the crash has caused the loss of your catalogue.  Did you respond to the crash reporter?  In other words, did you describe what you were doing at the time of the crash and did you allow the report to be sent to Adobe?

In any event, the first thing to do is look at the File>Manage Catalogs dialog.  I suspect that your empty catalogue is in fact a new catalogue that is probably named "My Catalog" and is the active "[Current]" catalogue shown in the Manage Catalogs dialog.  Perhaps the catalogue you were working on will show up in the dialog.  If that is the case, simply select and open it.  If this is not the case, there are some other suggestions we can make.

I'm not exactly sure what your question is.  Just as a general matter, if you can't find the new catalog, you can repeat the restore of the old catalog. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2019 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally you should use backup & restore when moving to a new computer. Start from the Organizer on the old computer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2019 0
99jon LATEST
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2019 0