• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organizer - Show edits from Lightroom

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom to import photos.  I usually then modify them a bit in LR (white balance, etc).  

When I launch PSE Organizer, it imports those photos because its a watched folder.  However, Organizer displays the original image and doesn't seem to recognize the edits I have made.

If, from Organizer, I edit in Photoshop Elements, I am presented wih the "Camera Raw 12.0 - JPEG" dialog box, which does shows the correct adjustments that I made in LR.

So, it seems that Adobe Photoshop Elements supports the changes made in LR, but not Organizer? Is that correct?

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you update the thumbnail in the Organizer (Ctrl+Shift+U), after it has been imported into your catalog? If the xmp sidecar file is available in the folder, the thumbnail in the Organizer should recongize the edits that have been made in Lr.

Added:  I should have looked at your question a little closer.  Are your original files jpg or raw?  I'm assuming that they are jpg because of your description of the files opening in Camera Raw 12.0 with the JPEG notation in the title bar.  But this leads me to ask exactly what your workflow is.  Do you save the changes made in Lr to a new jpg file? How are you opening the files in Photshop Elements Editor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so doing a thumbnail update, does that re-read the metadata of the file?  I was wondering how to force an update of metadata...the only thing I was using was to re-import photos from a folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Ok so doing a thumbnail update, does that re-read the metadata of the file? I was wondering how to force an update of metadata...the only thing I was using was to re-import photos from a folder"

I have just tested and unfortunately, that does not work.

The imported jpeg edited in LR does not show the edits in the thumbnail. If I open in the editor it opens in ACR and the edits are taken into account. If I save without any change in a version set, the version set shows ok.

The thumbnail update usually updates the caption.
I'll have to test with previous PSE versions.

I have just noted that when exporting jpgs edited in ACR, the organizer does not take the ACR edits into account. I'll check if that was the case with previous versions. Maybe that's not a new behaviour.

Edit:

Quick tests show that for jpegs edited either in Lightroom or in PSE ACR, the edits are ignored in the thumbnail but taken into account when opening from the organizer into the editor; the file opens automatically in ACR and shows the edits. Edited version sets are ok.

That appears also in PSE2019 and PSE12.

The fact that edits are ignored:

- in the 'import' (or watched folder) stage

- in the command 'update thumbnails'

- in the 'export' command

is a major bug with critical consequences.

I had not noticed it before because I nearly systematically 'Open' in the editor instead of clicking 'Done', creating version sets working as 'full size previews'. Probably few PSE users do only use 'Done' for a pure parametric editing with jpegs.

However, you can't rely on the organizer to import such edited photos from LR or ACR, you can't export with applied edits, you don't have a way to update the thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that is a bummer. Maybe I'm using the program in a way it wasn't designed. I know it's designed to be user friendly, etc.. However it still would be nice to have some basic functions like this for those of us who would like to use more advanced features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same question as Greg, I don't see how I could see "Camera RAW 12.0 -JPEG".

Edit:

I had not noticed thatACR 12 shows this when it's a jpeg that has been opened in ACR. If I open a raw file, the type of the camera is shown instead of - JPEG.

Otherwise I imagine that if you have 'written the metadata to files', shorcut Ctrl S, in LR, the xmp sidecar file will include the edits. If you open from the editor, those edits will be read. If you have previously included the file in your organizer catalog, only the parametric edits stored in the catalog will be read by the organizer. In that case, using right click and 'update thumbnail' should update the organizer catalog from the sidecar file and update the thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that is a bummer. Maybe I'm using the program in a way it wasn't designed. I know it's designed to be user friendly, etc.. However it still would be nice to have some basic functions like this for those of us who would like to use more advanced features.

I consider it's a serious bug. I very much doubt that the different behaviour for jpegs vs raws is 'by design'. The only positive advantage could be that import and export are much faster. The impossibility to 'export' with edits from the organizer is dramatic (or there should be an option to choose with/without ACR edits).

So, you are right it's a question of workflow. and I don't think that Adobe is inclined to make the organizer and ACR be used as Lightroom competitors. The fact that you can't open jpegs in ACR from the organizer directly is a clear sign.

So, if like me you want both parametric editing and batch procedures within the ACR module and the 'export' function in the organizer, you'll have to find workarounds.

For the time being, the only workaround I can suggest is to take advantage of the DNG format. In Lightroom or when opening a batch of edited jpegs in the ACR editor, you can use the 'save' to DNG button before importing in the catalog.

1 - open a batch of jpegs from LR or Pse ACR in the ACR module with the editor command 'Open in ACR', and apply individual or common edits.

2 - select all and save as DNG

3 - import the DNG in the catalog.

Now your thumbnails are ok and you can export with edits just like with native raws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wonder if this will be added as a feature in the new version of Elements due out soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines