• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organizer to PSE edit

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run through manuals and searched Google and forum and cannot seem to resolve.  Maybe there are so many thumbnail issues its just hard to find.

Anyway, why would organizer send the thumbnail to edit when I click the edit buttonin organizer instead of the original image?  Is there a setting I am missing?     I would actually prefer organizer to display images in full when clicked on as well.   

I believe the thumbnails are there's because you may not always have your library connected if you're using offline discs to store.   But it seems like it would then just come back with an error message that can't find the image if location disconnected.

Now I don't use catalogs couldn't that be the issue?

TOPICS
Actions , Organizer , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry Bob, but I've read your post several times and I still don't understand what your problem or question is. 

You say you don't use catalogs, yet your post seems to relate to sending an image from the Organizer's catalog to the Editor for editing. 

Please explain what you are doing step by step, what your expected result should be, and what your actual result is. Then ask us what you want to know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I was unclear.. but thanks for the response.

While in Organizer on the 'all media view' I see a bunch on thumbnails. 

- I click select a thumbnail (single to select not double to open)

- click on editor button at bottom

– the elements editor opens up with the thumbnail in edit mode.

My expectations are it would open the actual image file to edit or give error message image not available for edit if that library (drive)  were not connected.     TBH I would actually like the double click to full view to open actual image file as well.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I was unclear.. but thanks for the response.

While in Organizer on the 'all media view' I see a bunch on thumbnails. 

- I click select a thumbnail (single to select not double to open)

- click on editor button at bottom

the elements editor opens up with the thumbnail in edit mode.

My expectations are it would open the actual image file to edit or give error message image not available for edit if that library (drive)  were not connected.     TBH I would actually like the double click to full view to open actual image file as well.   

By @Chicago Bob

The organizer does not open the 'thumbnail', it opens with the actual file.

Opening the thumbnail in organizer is a nonsense. The thumbnail in the organizer is just a very small reduction of your image with maximum 360 x 240 pixels stored as a binary field in the catalog database. It's used for very fast browsing of pages of many files. If you set the size of your 'thumbnails' in the browsing space wider, even only one in the display, what is displayed is the actual file. You are not seeing a 'thumbnail' embedded in some formats (raw for instance) nor a 'preview' like in Lightroom where you can set the size of the 'preview' up to the full pixel size. That's why viewing  raw files in the organizer requires some time to apply the raw edit settings, whether you are in the normal view, in the full scren view (F11 shortcut) or in the editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.. and If I am dragging this out feel free to drop out.   After 30 years of photography this is my first foray into workflow. 

It seems the word thumbnail was tripping people up.. let me restate with the new info...  

Back to original question so if I double click one of these reduced images, it opens up large (at the reduced resolution) or if I  just select it and hit editor at botton of the window it brings the (reduced images) into PSE editor.   Is there a way to have the double click or the click --> select editor to bring in full image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to original question so if I double click one of these reduced images, it opens up large (at the reduced resolution) or if I  just select it and hit editor at botton of the window it brings the (reduced images) into PSE editor.   Is there a way to have the double click or the click --> select editor to bring in full image?

By @Chicago Bob

If you double click one of the reduced images, the image is indeed enlarged at the reduced resolution, just the time the real original file is opened and resized. That takes from much less than 1/10th of a second for jpegs and up to 10 seconds for big raw files with edits.

If you hit editor, the thumbnail in your catalog is totally ignored and you are seeing only the original file, resized (resampled) to fit your display depending on its resolution.

The shortcuts to switch instantly from 100% view (to see the pixels) to the 'fit in screen' view of the whole picture are:

- double click on the magnifying glass for 100% view

- double click on the hand tool for 'fit in view'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To everyone who answerd I noticed a recurring theme that images when accessed or sent to edit should be original file.    With that in mind i investigated more and figured out that another program I tried in a  free trial, created a  folder with thumbnails of all my images, and since it was recent and I imported all folders in my photo directory..   they were listed in the view before all the originals 

Thank you all so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines