Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Panorama Merge in 2020

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new at this game.

I am trying to do a Panorama Merge of two overlapping images of parts of the same subject that come from different sources.  When I try and do the panorama merge, I get the message "Some images could not be automatically aligned", and the resultant composite suggests that the merge is being attempted on the wrong side.  This is a singularly unhelpful message, and I get it whichever of the Panorama Merge options I use.

Fair enough, the images might be of different size or pixel density, and the subject matter on both sides of the main image is similar.  But having got this far, what can I do to massage one or both images (e.g resize) that they are close enough that they will merge, and how do I tell PE which side to merge on?

Thanks,

Paul.

TOPICS
How to , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

I have done this manually.

1. Open the main picture and the small image

2, Duplicate the backgound layer of the main image, and work on the Background copy layer

3. Shut off the visibility of the Backgound layer

4. Drag the small image to the work area from the photobin

5. Use the magnetic lasso tool to select the sky on the small image, then hit delete on the keyboard

6. Open a new, blank layer at the top of the stack of layers and press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+E to create a stamp visible layer - - this

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mac 

Whether your images have been taken in the same horizontal plane ( on tripod) and next image overlapping with first one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the images are not suitable for use with the panorama merge.  If you want some assistance, I suggest you post the images here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I received a note from Adobe Support suggesting that I email them directly with this, so that's what I have done.  If they can't help, I will do as you suggest and post the images here.

zPaul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you contact Adobe Support? 

Or were you contacted via Private Message?  If so, it is possible that you have been spammed.  Make sure that any communication you receive is from Adobe.com and not simply an address with Adobe in the name e.g.

Adobe Support@gmail.com. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in replying.

It was a private message from

community_noreply@adobe.com

and suggested I try emailing to 

AdobeExp @outlook.com

I did this, but am not really getting anywhere with it.

If it's spam, what are the spammers looking for?

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spammers are looking for your private information or will try to sell you something.  I will report this one to the appropriate Adobe authorities.  If you want to resolve your problem, then I again suggest that you post the photos here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"AdobeExp @outlook.com"

=============
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!  Real Adobe employees never use an Outlook return e-mail.
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they asked for my serial number which they didn't get, and language and OS version.  So I guess that's what they were after.

Thanks for the suggestion to post the troublesome images.Prison entrancePrison entranceUpdated corner.png

As you can see, the pictures came from different sources, and they cover different amounts of the image.  The small image with rhe corner pillar and road sign goes to the left of the bigger image.  And, curiously, the big picture is the result of an earlier merge which worked, but I have no idea how it happened, and I certainly can't seem to do it again.  I believe that the Panorama Merge can add sky once merged, so the size difference might no be an issue.  And I'm not looking for great resolution or precise merging, as the result will just be background to something else I am doing.

As I said, I'm new at this, and don't know the parameters that are required to enable a merge to be successful.  I would like to understand this a bit more, and also would appreciate any techniques to adjust either picture (even at the expense of fidelity) to encourage the merge to work.  And unfortunately, re-visiting the site to take better pictures is out of the question as the subject is over 3,000 miles away.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this manually.

1. Open the main picture and the small image

2, Duplicate the backgound layer of the main image, and work on the Background copy layer

3. Shut off the visibility of the Backgound layer

4. Drag the small image to the work area from the photobin

5. Use the magnetic lasso tool to select the sky on the small image, then hit delete on the keyboard

6. Open a new, blank layer at the top of the stack of layers and press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+E to create a stamp visible layer - - this will combine all the layers. Shut off the visibility of all the layers below the stamp visible layer. We don't need them any longer.

7. With the Lasso tool. make a generous selection of sky from the main picture and place

it on its own layer (Layer>new>layer via copy)

8. Drag the sky layer below the stamp visible layer. Activate the move tool and position the sky appropriately.

prison3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions.  I had to learn each step as I went (I'm new at this), but I finished up with the small picture with a lot more sky.  Which I think is good.

But I didn'tsee in the process where the actual panorama merge occurred.  I tried it at at the very end after everything else, and while it seemed that merging was taking place, the end result was just the large picture on its own (i.e. no merge).  I didn't get the "couldn't align" message, and the merge asked me whther I wanted to fill in blank spaces ("yes"), which I took as a good sign.  So some progress, but I didn't get the picture you illustrated in your reply.

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines