• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PE 2018 blur tool

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blur tool in my PE 2018 does not blur, nor does the smudge tool smudge.  I select the blur (or smudge) tool, leave the mode on "normal" select a brush and size, and have the strength set at 100%. Applying the tool has no effect.  What am I missing?

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give this a try, Sparkle and the Reset Preferences on next launch button (ctl-k or cmd-k on mac) will often fix that too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2020 Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  The reset tool worked on the smudge tool but not the blur tool. I am not comfortable with the second suggestion as I am not sure what all I will be resetting.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If resetting preferences does not make the tool do what you want, go to Filter menu>Gaussian Blur. This will blur everything. No to worry! You can apply a mask, and mask the area that you wish to remain in focus.

Another approach is to use one of the selection tools, e.g. Lasso tool or Selection brush, and select the foreground object, place this on a separate layer (CTRL+G), and blur the entire Background layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately I am working with a photo of a flower arrangement and should have given more thought to the background and had someone hold up a sheet.  Trying to "select" the flower arrangement with anything is a bear because of the delicate ferns.  I may have to abandon this project as the arrangement has lost some of its freshness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that you have the layer selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply.  I am only working with one layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines