• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen pressure bug / erratic behavior in Elements 11

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I recently bought a new convertible Lenovo Laptop with a touch screen and an "Active Pen" and was looking forward to draw on it using my Photoshop Elements 11.

And so I tried it out, and discovered that drawing with the Brush or Pen tool doesn't work as expected.

Quickly explained, the strokes sometimes do and sometimes do not change size according to how much pressure I apply with the pen. This behavior is seemingly random. Most of the time, when I start drawing my first stroke with the pen, it just draws a line with a constant size, no matter how much pressure I apply. After 2 or 3 more strokes, it finally draws the lines with a size that follows how much pressure I apply. But it can go back and forth drawing with constant and correct size at random. One stroke has constant size, another stroke later has correct size. It's random and there's no apparent pattern that helped me narrow down under which conditions it may draw lines one way or another.

I also downloaded an installed the Elements 2019 trial a few days ago. I discovered that that one doesn't have this problem - all brush strokes follow how much pressure I apply with the pen.

But I don't want to buy Elements 2019 just to get this one single feature to work correctly. I'm thinking that if Elements 11 already has buttons for selecting "Tablet Settings", then pen pressure should be working correctly in this version.

I've also been drawing on the Autodesk Sketchbook app on this same laptop, and the pen pressure is working correctly on that one too.

My laptop is an IdeaPad C340 with Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, and my pen is a Lenovo Active Pen (1st gen).

What I tried so far:
Looking through the elements preferences
- Adjusting the memory usage (ram) in the preferences. (Increasing & decreasing memory size allowed for elements.) (Wasn't sure how this would help but it was worth a try.)

- Changing settings in the "Display and Cursors" tab in preferences.
- Running PSE 11 in Windows 8 compatibility mode.
- Checking the "Lenovo pen settings" app. - Very few settings there. (Doesn't have a checkbox like "Use Windows Ink" like wacom tablet driver control panels have.)
- Resetting my pen settings in the "Lenovo pen settings" app.
- Looking through the "Pen & Windows Ink" panel in windows 10 settings.
- - checking the "let me use pen as a mouse in some apps" button
- - checking the "ignore touch input when i'm using my pen" button
- looking through the classic control panel in windows - not much helpful stuff under "Pen & Touch" there either.
- update check through "Lenovo Vantage" app - Had a list of some updates for things like the wi-fi module and intel HD graphics chip. Did those updates (but not the one for the bios).
- Windows update - said that "Next version of Windows is available with features and security improvemenets." Installed that that.
- Trying to update pen drivers through Device Manager. It says "Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed."

None of these fixed the problem.

I noticed in the task manager that the computer uses a Wacom process to run the whole pen input thing - called "Tablet Service, Wacom ISD Service." If it might be of any relevance.

Can anybody help me get this working on this version of Elements?
I attached a video shows how the strokes behave when I try to draw.

TOPICS
Bug , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?