Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo not removed from organiser when deleted

Participant ,
Feb 23, 2019 Feb 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Elements 2019/Windows 8.1)

I open a folder in organizer and select import media.

All files (let's say 50 RAW files) are imported.

i then select all files and click on "Edit with Photoshop elements editor"

Elements editor is opened and all files are opened in Camera Raw (Yeah, i know this takes some time, but that's how i like to use it).

I go through all photo's to change settings to keep them or to delete them.

In the end let's say 30 files remain, 20 are deleted.

When i click on "Done" camera raw is closed and i return to the organizer.

The problem now is that the deletion of the file is not passed on to the organizer and 20 files have a question mark as abandoned file. So now as an extra, i have to go through the organizer database to click on each photo with a question mark to delete that. The raw files that are kept have to be exported as jpg for later use for something else.

In a couple of months i have a project with a lot of photos (~800 a day) So going through all of them to see if i deleted the file when checking the photo in camera raw is not very funny to say the least.

Some time ago i used to do this with Adobe bridge >> open in camera RAW >> delete >> ready. But unfortunately i no longer have Photoshop and have to do it all with Elements. Getting Photoshop or Lightroom is no longer an option for me.

So what am i overlooking? Is there a (hidden) option that says "When the file is deleted in CameraRaw or the editor workspace, remove it from organiser"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are in the ACR module, you are NOT in the organizer. You can't delete files from the ACR module, so what you are doing is to delete the files from your OS (explorer or finder). The result is that the organizer ignores your deletions.

The golden rule with the organizer is never to delete, rename or move files outside the organizer interface.

The organizer works on a catalog, contrary to Bridge, which is a browser.

You'll have to find another way to 'cull' your raw images directly from the organizer. You are working with PSE2019 and the issue is that raw files open slowly.

Two different solutions after importing a big batch:

- browsing the raw files in the organizer without opening in ACR. You can't display at full screen mode (100% pixel view), but generally you can cull nearly all bad images. The remaining culling is made in your editing stage after batch editing in ACR.

- You rely on a first batch conversion from the editor (process multiple files) or the organizer (export as new files). After you have converted your hundreds of files to jpeg while being away from the computer, it's much faster to browse the jpeg files while having the editor and organizer both open. That's a big advantage of PSE2019 if you have enough RAM. You browse in the organizer and opening in the editor is immediate, double click on the magnifier and you are in 100% view. Simple click to get back to the organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other tips:

It's really easy to remove from the catalog the files which have been deleted outside of the organizer.
You search for missing files and in the resulting dialog, you open the menu and choose first 'select all' then 'delete all'.

If you want to stay in the ACR dialog to mark files for deletion, I suggest simply moving the exposure slider totally left. You'll see immediately which photos are now nearly black when you come back to the organizer. It's non destructive and the thumbnail is automatically updated. You select those black files and batch delete them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MichelBParis, thank you very much for these extended replies. With your replies i am working on a new way to use PSE. the second tip was really helpful. Simple, but very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines