• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos not displayed because of 'wrong file format'

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take photos on my Android phone and via Onedrive on my Windows 10 (1903) I have no problems importing them into my PSE13.1 (from Desktop). However, I am sent photos to my phone from my family through Whatsap and they are automatically posted to my Photos app. I can seemingly send them by the same route as with my own photos, but when I import them (a combination of photos I have taken and those sent via Whatsap) the only photos visable as actual pictures are those I have taken. Those sent to me appear as what look like a peice of film roll. If I click on that square I get a message saying they are in the wrong file format. Looking at the properties of these individual squres they all end in '.jpg' so I can't see why there should be a problem but there must be a reason. Perhaps someone could please tell me how to overcome this issue.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you seem to have a LOT Going on. I suggest you post over at the Whatsapp (or whatever the name it) forum and it sounds like you are also using a Mac as you said Photos App (that is a Mac program).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from forum Community Help to Photoshop Elements.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a known problem from Whatsapp (and also FB...)

Those social media add proprietary tags in non standard fields in the metadata header of your jpegs.

The usual workaround is to open those files in a basic editor which ignores those metadata and to resave from the same editors. This will  discard the non standard fields and you'll be able to open the jpegs in Elements and other advanced editors.

Another known solution is to open the files in the ACR (Camera raw module) of PSE: File >> Open in camera raw. as if the jpegs were raw files. You can open jpegs, psd and tiff files in ACR, which has a number of advantages. I process nearly all my jpegs in ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines