• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 15 - Copying files that have been disconnected

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about 55 photos that are in my catalogue that I can't get to the original file location to reconnect due to a crash in an external drive.  Is there any way to copy these pictures since they show in the catalogue so that I can rescan into another file location to pull into my catalogue. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the missing photos elsewhere, what works is:

- copying the files back in the original location (which you can find in the properties panel for the missing files)

- or reconnecting while using the option in the reconnect dialog to browse to the new location. You don't wait for the default global search and use the dialog to show the folder to begin the search.

Warning: the files must have the same date_taken and file size in kB.

There has been situations when simply importing again those files did work, even if that it's not supported in principle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore Adobe_Ash_Miller - SPAM account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that the original location of the photo is no longer available since the crash of the external drive. The photos are still showing in the catalogue, but I can't do anything with them because Elements starts looking for the original location to reconnect. If I can figure out how to copy or send them to another location, I can them import them again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kays23028861 said:

The problem is that the original location of the photo is no longer available since the crash of the external drive. The photos are still showing in the catalogue, but I can't do anything with them because Elements starts looking for the original location to reconnect. If I can figure out how to copy or send them to another location, I can them import them again.

What you are seeing in the catalog are only small thumbnails of your photos.  Your actual photo files are not stored in the catalogue.  So, unless you were able to save the files that originally existed on your external drive that crashed, there is nothing to import back into the catalogue.  Depending on the nature of the crash, it may be possible to revive the files from your external drive using specialized software.  Alternatively, do you have any backups of your catalog or of the files that were stored on your external drive? 

One other workaround is to open the catalog and see if you can open a missing files thumbnail at full screen view by double clicking on it. You can then take a screenshot of the photo which can then be imported into the catalog.  However, the resolution of the image will not be as good as the original photo file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I moved the catalogue to the external drive prior the the crash and these photos did not move with the catalogue. I will try your workaround and see if that works. Otherwise, I am resigning myself that I have lost these pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines