• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2018 - Dotted line around a picture...

New Here ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - relatively newbie with Photoshop (so please be gentle... )

I have a couple of simple b/w clipart images that I want to add a general dotted line around the outside - ideally about 10mm around the general shape, which will give us a cutting guide line for my team of volunteers to cut around said picture.

To give the basic idea - these are two clipart butterflies which we're sending to schools for the kids to colour in - once done they'll be sent back and the team need to cut them out ready for a big public display, so ideally the cut lines need to be fairly generic.

I can't see an easy way of doing this - have tried drawing the line freehand but not the easiest thing with just a mouse (don't have a pen/pad facility sadly).

So hoping someone out there might have a suggestion.

Thanks

Moderator Edit: Title changed to Photoshop Elements 2018 was Photoshop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if something here helps:

How+do+I+make+a+dotted+line+in+Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with all things Photoshop, there are multiple ways to accomplish this. The trick is knowing what you want to do.

In the video below, the approach uses the following steps:

• Create a selection around the object using the quick selection tool;
  • Use the Select menu to smooth and expand the selection;
  • Convert the selection to a work path, and use it to create a shape;
  • Modify the shape properties to have a transparent fill and dashed stroke.

Its easier than it sounds:

As I mentioned, there are many ways to get the job done in Photoshop. I hope this helps!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd been sent that same video but stumbled when it said 'right click and select MAKE WORK PATH' - unless I'm doing something wrong (likely) that work path option is not available that I can see...

I do appear to have a different screen layout to that shown in the video, though - I'm on PS Elements 2018...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ynot_D  wrote

I'm on PS Elements 2018...

Moving to Photoshop Elements from Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ynot_D  wrote

I'd been sent that same video but stumbled when it said 'right click and select MAKE WORK PATH' - unless I'm doing something wrong (likely) that work path option is not available that I can see...

I do appear to have a different screen layout to that shown in the video, though - I'm on PS Elements 2018...

Hi that tutorial is for Photoshop and you're using Photoshop Elements, 2 different applications

Creating Path from Selection in Photoshop Elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Elements select the brush tool and choose a square brush of about 9 or 10 pixels

Click the brush settings button and adjust spacing and roundness until you see a dashed preview

Click once on your image where you wish to start the line, hold down shift and click again at the end point. Holding down shift will give you a precise horizontal or vertical line. Click image below to  enlarge. If preferred you can make the brush setting give just dots by using roundness/spacing and choosing a different brush preset.

dashed.jpg

Settings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More on 99jon's method...

To get rounded dots you can initially choose a hard round brush size.

For a straight horizontal or vertical line: click start point, hold Shift, and draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks all for the pointers.
I was still struggling so enlisted assistance from a friend who was better able to interpret the solution than I was.

All sorted now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines