• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2018 using Save As

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am converting an image from the tiff format to jpeg using Save As. In the past the program would automatically add the extension. But now I have to erase tif and type in jpg. This appears to work, but I think it should be automatic.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Thanks Jeff Arola. I took your advice and added Adobe Photoshop Editor.app to the location referenced. The app is located in Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018/Support Files not Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020. I think you suspected it would not have any affect and you are correct. Also you are probably right that the newest version of Elements will work properly in Catalina. Note that Apple is prompting me to upgrade to the latest package called Big Sur. I could not justify purchasing tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the PSE forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff Arola,

My operating system is Catalina 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro. I normally respond quicker than this, but I did not receive an email until just now. Thanks for offering to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you changing the "Save as type" to JPG? It will default to the file type that you started with.

2020-12-21 20_08_45-mars.tif @ 9.19% (RGB_8) _.png

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Walter in Davie, FL

Yes I do use the dropdown menu to select the file type when saving a file. I always do my editing in the TIFF format. Then when I am happy with the result I save the file in both the TIFF and JPG formats creating two files. Following the procedure where I manually erase the tif extension and repace it with jpg appears to work because you can see a large difference in file size between the two files. If I do not erase the tif extension, the file is still saved to a jpg format based on the selection I chose in the dropdown menu. I have several years experience working in Photoshop Elements and this is really the first time the issue has come up.

Thanks for your offer to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might have to do with photoshop elements 18 not really being fully compatible with macOS Catalina.

Apple made a host of changes to macOS Catalina that could have removed some of the operating system files that pse 18 relied on in earlier macOSs' to work as intended.

One thing you can try is going to Apple>System Preferences>Security&Privacy>Privacy>Full Disk Access and add the Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor.app in /Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020/Support Files.

Photoshop elements 2021 should work better on macOS Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jeff Arola. I took your advice and added Adobe Photoshop Editor.app to the location referenced. The app is located in Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018/Support Files not Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020. I think you suspected it would not have any affect and you are correct. Also you are probably right that the newest version of Elements will work properly in Catalina. Note that Apple is prompting me to upgrade to the latest package called Big Sur. I could not justify purchasing that software since I am currently subscribed to Photoshop/Lightroom that updates every month. I really only use Elements for the easier editing tasks because I find it easier and quicker than working in Photoshop. I have considered reinstalling the software.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines