• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2020 Crashing on Mac

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed Photoshop Elements Organizer 2020 on my 2014 Mac running version 10.15.5.    I have 8G of memory and after the install about 25G of SSD storage.    I have about 50k pictures on a Synology NAS drive.     My goal is to better organize my pictures and use Photoshop Elements Organizer to help me sift throught to identify the best pictures and get rid of the rest.  I am experiencing frequent crashes and key tags (dragging tags to pictures) works only intermittently.     I expect that my resource constraint may be the source of my problem and plan to upgrade my Mac.     What I would like to know is this my only problem or is there more to it.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Mac , Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Here's the solution that worked for me:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/elements-text-tool-error.html 

Solution 1: Turn off Font Preview

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I just installed PSE and tyring to load all the photos into PSE and it is crashing every 15 minutes.  I have a Macbook Air with 8GB RAM and 325GB space on the hard drive.  I have MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.  I have the FREE Picasa software and IT WORKS EXCELLENT and this paid version is crashing like crazy.  Any help will be appreciated. It is a shame to pay this much and it crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try trashing the prefs for PSE 2020 (v.18)

Quit Elements

Launch Finder and go to your Username >>Library >> Preferences

Send the following files/folders to the bin:

Adobe Photoshop Elements 18 Paths

Adobe Photoshop Elements 18 Settings

com.adobe.Elements Organizer.18.plist

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

The library is hidden in recent versions of Mac OS. To get to your user library quickly, from the top menu in Finder, click “Go” whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key and your user Library will appear for you to choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works temporarily - then the program just begins crashing again. 

In my situation, the crashing seems to be directly associate with the Text tool? 

I can clear out the preferences, re-open any file with a text layer, and when I select that layer - it crashes again? 

If I open a document with no text layer, I can seemingly play around all I like - until I add a text layer? 

But then, if I close the app and then reopen the file and select the text layer - Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 Editor crashes again. 

Also, I ordered the CD - so it's still in Trial mode until I receive my key in the mail - if that has any bearing? 

I'm also on a fresh install of Catalina - literally just installed it and then Photoshop Elements 2020 this morning. 

The only other app I've played around with is Adobe XD, which required Creative Cloud to be installed. 

Thanks again for the temorary workaround! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trial version ia the full version so that should make no difference. Are you opening PSD files with the text layer? Try selecting the T tool and then click the pull down menu (bottom-right) and chose reset tool. See image.

Ttool.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, this is some crazy behavior?

Without deleting the preferences as you'd suggested, I simply directly opened Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020 Editor - it opens "blank" in Expert Mode - and upon selecting the text tool, the program crashes within seven seconds. Otherwise, the program runs without issue. I can choose ANY other tool and no crashing. Upon selecting the text tool, it crashes again. It did allow me enough time to reset the tool as you prescribed, but then crashed again within the 6 or 7 seconds allowed following the text tool selection. I tried to capture it with a screenshot - command-shift-3 - but it wouldn't capture the "pointer" - upon selecting the text tool, the "pause/thinking" pointer behavior appears briefly and then disappears, after which the program then crashes. 

I then deleted the preferences as prescribed - the program did not yet even create

Adobe Photoshop Elements 18 Paths

com.adobe.Elements Organizer.18.plist

Following the crash, out of your list - only 

Adobe Photoshop Elements 18 Settings [folder]

and

com.adobe.PhotoshopElements.plist

had been created. And again, upon selecting the text tool, the program continues to crash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the solution that worked for me:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/elements-text-tool-error.html 

Solution 1: Turn off Font Preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines