• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2020 layer issues

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a longtime user of PSE7, I've finally upgraded to PSE(18)2020. My goal is to design cakes with this software, but I'm having issues working in the Expert mode and layers. First issue is with a blank (white) page and the eliptical tool. I can put a oval on the page and it will keep an outline until I click off to add another layer/oval above or below and the previous layer will disappear. If I click off and around the blank layer, it will change to the previous layer in the layer panel, but nothing shows up. I then tried it with adding a graphic background, and the ovals show up, but the outline disappears. So how do I change the line color for the eliptical tool? I've used PSE7 for many years working with layers, photos, text, and creating logos that I've added to the photos. This has me baffled. Fran

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  Are you talking about using the Eliptical Marqee tool or the Elipse Shape tool?  Can you give us some screenshots to show your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the Elliptical Marquee Tool, the outline that you see ("marching ants") does not reflect pixels that remain when you drag out another ellipse on the same layer or on another layer.

If you wish to cement the ellptical outline, drag out the ellipse, then go to Edit>stroke(outline)selection. In the dialog that comes up you can define the width of the stroke & color. Invariably I position the stroke inside,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hatstead,

Thank you for your responses. I was using the ellipse tool. I’m a picture user, LOL, don’t pay any attention to the description or name of the tool, generally. However, I was trying to do this on a white blank page and the 1st oval I put on the page, even though I had a new layer, would disappear. Since the video tutorials are all starting with a photo, they are really not much help because I’m not working with a photo in this instance. I’m creating from scratch a tiered cake, and will then add flower and design elements, etc., images in additional layers. But if the layers are going to disappear, it is of no help.

Then, I decided that if the program was going to work only if I had a picture, maybe a background would help. So, the ovals stay on, but there is no outline that I need for making it look like a cake board or dummy round. Of course, you may not know what I’m talking about, and that’s ok. Just know that I need the lines and how to make them happen. Most of the commands that aren’t self-explanatory in the name, I’ve not used in PSE7. Working with photos of cakes doesn’t require much editing. Or shouldn’t, anyway.

In the first image, you can see 2 layers, the oval is lined, and the Stroke (outline) Selection is not active. In the second image, you can see that I added another layer and the line immediately disappeared. However, with the background, both ovals are visible. And it just dawned on me that on the white page with the oval being white and the outline disappearing, it makes since why I can’t see it. Therefore, and outline is mandatory in that instance. Since I will be adding a vertical line to connect the 2 ovals for all tiers, white or color background, the outline is necessary.

Hope I’ve been able to explain it a little better and the images help.

Thanks, Fran

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A picture is worth a thousand words.  😉  Unfortunately, your email reply does not display images.  You need to log into the forum to post your images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines