• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2020

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using Photoshop CS6 but got a new computer and went with Photoshop Elements 2020.  One thing I often did when editing my pictures in CS6 was adding black using a selective layer.  I can't find something similar in Photoshop Elements.  I was able to find an adjustment layer in elements, but can only edit cyan, magenta, red, etc.  No black.  

Any other options in Elements to add blacks? 

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

One suggestion might be to use:

File >> Open in Camera Raw

You then have sliders for whites, blacks, highlights & shadows. After pushing the blacks slider to the left, simply click the open image button to send into the regular editor workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Elements plus is a very inexpensice add-on with curves, and more.  Have a look:

https://simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/index.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best to post in the Photoshop Elements forum, this is the Photoshop forum.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements/bd-p/photoshop-elements?page=1&sort=latest_replies...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi , I've moved your post from the Photoshop forum to the Photoshop Elements forum where you are more likely to get help with your issue.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  Brand new here.  ðŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One suggestion might be to use:

File >> Open in Camera Raw

You then have sliders for whites, blacks, highlights & shadows. After pushing the blacks slider to the left, simply click the open image button to send into the regular editor workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you!  That will work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You state: :

Any other options in Elements to add blacks? 

You can paint black with  the brush tool, employ the paintbucket tool, etc.

It is not clear to me where you encounter a problem in your work-flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop, I would edit in Camera Raw, then bring the image up in Photoshop CS6.  From there I often brought up the mid tones using the curves layer and then would use the selective layer and add +4/+6 in blacks.  Looking for something like that in Elements.  

Hopefully thats a little clearer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements plus is a very inexpensice add-on with curves, and more.  Have a look:

https://simplephotoshop.com/elementsplus/index.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!  Thanks for sending this!  Looking into it now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased Elements plus and it solved my problem!  Thanks for the recommendation!

File > Automation tools

> E+ Color & Tone

>Selective Layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hatstead asked:

It is not clear to me where you encounter a problem in your work-flow.

Some historical background.

You do know that Elements does not support natively CMYK color space, so at the same time in 2006, there were discussion among phothoshop users (CS2 ?) about using the ability to use the black K channel for a specific effect and Richard Lynch published its book 'The hidden power of Photoshop Elements 4'; in this book he provided one hundred actions to enhance Elements among which a solution to create CMYK; a CD with the actions was provided with the book.

So, there were discussions in the different forums for Elements about the way to get the same artistic effect with black.

In Photoshop CMYK, the black channels is there to compensate the inability of printing system to achieve full black without any color shift. If used with more intensity, the effect was an interesting  way to give more 'punch' to the shadows.

In Elements, the process described by Richard Lynch to mimic this K channel was to create masks to combine a selection of shadows and high saturation to get strictly similar K layers. As a matter of fact, to achieve the visual effect, it's simpler and faster to create a shadows mask ignoring the saturation mask. The actions provided in the CD produced directly a K layer instead of a K channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines