Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements 2021 (PE2021) Organizer freezes/hangs

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently installed PE2021 and imported about 50K images.  I'm in the process of naming faces and have completed about 5K.  I've used the software for about 10 sessions so far and backed up the catalog a couple of times.  The response time for the application has been very slow which I've tolerated so far.

However, I've now encountered system freezes/hangs on the last 4 attempts of using the application which has cause me to do a hard restart of my system each time.  The application is now longer usable because it causes my system to freeze when I try to use photoshop elements 2021.

This last time trying to use the application I encountered a software xcepion error xe8 and then got prompted to repair Creative Cloud, which I clicked on to do the repair.  However, the system again froze after that.

I am running windows intel i5 windows 10 8GB/RAM.

What other repair action do you recommend? 

TOPICS
Actions , Bug , Crash or freeze , Organizer , Problem or error , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 50K media catalog can take several days to complete the face recognition.  Are you seeing any activity in the lower right corner of the status bar indicating the progress of face analysis?

You can also look in the json folder located at: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\YOUR CATALOG NAME\FaceAnalysis\.  If you sort the files by Date Modified, you will be able to see the date and time of the latest face analysis.  If it has been completed, the number of .json files in the json folder should be approximately (if not exactly) the same as the number of files in your catalog.

In your case, naming faces may actually be slowing the process down.  If you can confirm that face analysis is ongoing, my recommendation would be to wait until the process has completed before naming any more faces. If you are not doing so already, I recommend leaving your computer on overnight (and make sure that the computer does not go to sleep) until the analysis is complete. 

I would also recommend turning off Auto Creations in the Edit>File>Media Analysis dialog.  (Reboot the computer after doing so.)  With a new catalog, Auto Creations can be the biggest resource hog.  In fact, this may be the prime problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply and your recommendations.  I'll act on them and then give feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

I finally resumed working on my photos and trying to apply your recommendations. 

I see that I have 42,616 json files in the My Catalog / FaceAnalysis folder.  I have about 56,000 images in the Organizer (forgot to note the exact number).

When I launched PSE, I couldn'd readily locate the Edit>File>Media Analysis dialogue.  I didn't see any menus on the main page so I launched the Organizer.  I was able to click on the Edit menu, but couldn't locate the Edit>File>Media Analysis Option there.  I then clicked on the File menu and couldn't locate the Media Analysis Option there either.  I then went back to select the Edit menu for another look and then my entire PC hung/froze/crashed.

Can you give me more specific directions to navigate to the Edit>File>Media Analysis dialogue.  However, I suspect that this is a more fundamental problem.

This constant crashing when I start the application is becoming very frustrating - having to reboot each time I enter the application.  I've never have this type of system crashing problem before!

Looking forward to a remedy!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnK105 said:

I couldn'd readily locate the Edit>File>Media Analysis dialogue.

That's because it doesn't exist.  MY MISTAKE.  I meant the Edit>Preferences>Media Analysis dialogue.    Sorry for putting you wrong.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.01.11_15h54m43s_000_SnapCollage.png

Please report back when you have turned off all the Media Analysis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the right navigation.

I rebooted and relaunched PSE and Organizer and navigated to the Edit>Preferences>Media Analysis dialogue.  I had slow response but was successful in unchecking Generate Auto Creations.  I then tried to move my cursor to the OK and just before I had a chance to click on OK, my system froze again!!!  Ahhhhhh!!!!

The ALT/CTL/DEL didn't work as usual.  I had to do another hard Power Off and then restarted the system again.

What's your next recommendation?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you please confirm if you have turned off all Media Analysis options in the dialog shown by Greg above?

And after unchecking, can you please share the CPU and memory consumption by Organizer and Editor from Task Manager.

Regards,

Nidhi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are unable to change the Media Analysis preferences before the program freezes, try the following:

• Hold down the Shift key while launching the Organizer. This will bring up the Manage Catalogs dialog. 
  • Create a new empty catalog and open it. 
  • Skip the screens to add media.
  • Go to the Preferences dialog and turn off all of the Media Analysis. You should be able to save before the program freezes.
  • Relaunch the Organizer, again using the Shift key.
  • Open your 50k media catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg and Nidhi,

I followed your procedure and was able to turn off all Media Analysis and Analysis Options (unchecked all the items).  I was then able to open up the 50K Media Catalog.

I have also attached a snapshot of the CPU and Memory from Task Manager below - after performing the entire procedure.

JohnK105_0-1610687925537.png

BTW, the CPU and Memory after creating the empty catalog was as follows:

> Elements Organizer 0% CPU 549 MB

> PSE                            0% CPU 171 MB 

I'm exiting both applications now.

What do I do next?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot does not show what is taking up all the CPU.  If you scroll down, do you see the Auto Creations 2021 process taking up CPU?  If so, end it in Task Manager, and let us know whether it is still active after rebooting your computer.

Now that the media analysis has been turned off, is the computer still freezing?  Are you able to name face stacks?  Having high CPU usage does not necessarily mean that the computer will freeze or become non-responsive.  But we need to track down what explains the high usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Prior to your respnse this morning., I relaunched and went into Editor to select a photo which I had previously edited.  When I selected it nothing happened.  I then went into Organizer and after selecting the 50K Catalog.  I captured a task manager screenshot which I had attached in my last reply.  I then left Organizer running and came back to it after a while.  The hourglass was still there and when I tried moving the cursor nothing happened.  It was frozen/hung/crashed!  I did a hard restart and am replying with this info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe PSE Frozen - Task Manager.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Task Manager stats screenshot, you can see all the foreground tasks and Adobe background task stats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot still does not show what is taking up all the CPU.  You need to go further down the background processes and look for Elements Auto Creations 2021.  (It does not have Adobe in the name.)  Alternatively, click on the CPU header of Task Manager and that will sort the processes by CPU usage.

Ashampoo_Snap_2021.01.15_11h30m28s_001_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

Sorry for not realizing that Elements was not prefixed with Adobe.

I launched Task Manager and then launch Organizer again and then did a print screen to then capture it in a Paint file but then it froze/hung/crashed on me again!!!

I did a hard reboot again and this time took out my smartphone camera to capture a series of images of Task Manager (sorted by CPU%).  The last image capture was when the system crashed again!!!

The series of images (file names are the date/time stamp) are attached for your review/analysis.

What's my next step?

Thanks for your contunued support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20210116_004608.jpg20210116_005640.jpg20210116_005650.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20210116_005707.jpg20210116_005753.jpg20210116_005806.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20210116_005822.jpg20210116_005848.jpg20210116_005900.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20210116_005910.jpg20210116_005930.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last image is of the Task Manager when the system crashed/froze/hung and needed a hard reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I should have asked this earlier.  What hardware are you using - it looks like you are using a laptop with an attached monitor? But more specifically, how much RAM does your computer have and what CPU?  I didn't do the math, but clearly the computer is crashing when you reach 100% RAM usage and it seems like you do not have very much RAM to begin with.  And how much empty space do you have on your hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

System Specs are attached.  I do have a laptop and a 2nd monitor.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Specs.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Storage Stats are attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Storage Stats.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines