• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop elements 2021 slow

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. In december I bought a MacBook Air,, very fast one with M1 processor. And I bought photoshop elements 2021.but some things work soooo slow!! For example when I want to use a surface blur filter it takes a whole minute to process. Does anyone recognize this? 
also, when I adjust brightness and contrast it does not show immediately, I have to uncheck the box 'preview' and then check it again. 
Hope someone knows the solution. 

TOPICS
Mac , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Surface Blur filter can be slow, especially if you are working with large 16-bit images.

My Windows-based AMD Ryzen 5 4600H (Integrated Radeon Vega 6 Graphics) with 16GB RAM takes about a minute to run the Surface Blur filter on a 137MB 16-bit image.

Don't expect miracles with Apple's M1 chip, no matter what their marketing says. Elements does not run natively on the M1 chip, so you're going to have a performance hit with it running via Rosetta 2. Also, if you bought the standard off-the-shelf MacBook Air you'll only have 8GB RAM which is a little bit on the small side if you're dealing with large, multi-layered images.

Then again, 10 years ago users would be waiting for an hour or so for the Surface Blur filter to finish processing, so we've moved on a bit since then 🙂

Finally, make sure you've updated Elements to version 2021.2. That might sort out your Preview issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>Also, if you bought the standard off-the-shelf MacBook Air you'll only have 8GB RAM which is a little bit on the small side if you're dealing with large, multi-layered images.

Agreed, that's the prevailing wisdom. Interestingly, the ground rules on RAM requirements seem to be changing based on the performance of the M1 with 8GB RAM.

9to5Mac

Mark Ellis Reviews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand how the M1 can more effectively manage the memory requirements for running multiple apps at the same time including browsers with multiple tabs open. In those day-to-day use cases, it might appear that suddenly 8GB of RAM is performing as well as 16GB of RAM used to.

But I'm not sure how those same memory management methods can help in more specialized situations where you're dealing with large, discrete files that require a big chunk of working memory.

Now Photoshop is running natively on the M1, hopefully they'll be some more articles published that address how the new SoC architecture will benefit Photoshop users 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Watch this space.

I assume things will get more interesting now that Apple is in full control of their chip design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think Photoshop Elements is NOT running native on Apple Silicon yet.

Here is a screenshot from my activity monitor running Photoshop Elements 2022 and the processes are all stil INTEL not APPLE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Bit late in the day but just seen your post re PSE 2021 and slow respønding - I have the same problem on my imac but did not realise there was a 2021.2 version update. Used PSE for years and my experience is that they have been light on updates but more interested in you buying the latest new version. How can I get the update ?

Welcome your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021-08-14_045709.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines