• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements I get chromatic fringes, but when viewed Windows Photo Viewer no fringes

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why when a NEF is loaded straight into Photoshop Elements I get chromatic fringes, but when viewed Windows Photo Viewer no fringes?

I have a Nikon D7200.
Capture.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rmk2112 wrote:

Does anyone know why when a NEF is loaded straight into Photoshop Elements I get chromatic fringes, but when viewed Windows Photo Viewer no fringes?

I have a Nikon D7200.

Your screenshot clearly shows the jpeg artifacts from the thumbnail stored into your NEF file by NIKON, with the fringe corrected by your Nikon camera. The raw file itself is not corrected.

Am I right in assuming that the Elements version has been opened in the ACR raw converter, then sent to the editor  with the 'Open Image' button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michel,
I open PSE 14
then drag the NEF on to the PSE window
It then opens in ACR 9.5
Then I click open image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rmk2112 wrote:

Hi Michel,
I open PSE 14
then drag the NEF on to the PSE window
It then opens in ACR 9.5
Then I click open image

That's what I thought.

The problem with the version of the ACR converter in Elements is that it lacks the 'fringing' correction which is applied in your camera or in the Nikon converters as well as the full ACR version of Photoshop or in Lightroom.

That fringing is typical of many lenses and can be corrected to a certain point in the Elements editor. That involves selecting the fringed areas and desaturating. A better result would require separate Elements add-ons, but I hope other users can guide you because I don't use any myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michel for your reply 🙂
What I find odd is that the NEF in Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer doesn't have the fringes, they only appear in PSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rmk2112 wrote:

Thanks Michel for your reply 🙂
What I find odd is that the NEF in Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer doesn't have the fringes, they only appear in PSE.

What you are seeing in Windows Photo Viewer is not the 'raw' data, it's a small jpeg image produced by your camera (what you see in your camera display) and which is the result of a quick raw conversion in your camera. Nikon has included fringe correction in this process. The ACR Elements picture shows the result of its raw conversion which does not include color fringe correction.

You might check my answer by posting again in the 'Camera Raw' forum where you'll find ACR experts.

Adobe Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Michel so much for your thoughts on this. Following your suggestion I have posted this in thew ACR forum too 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rmk2112 wrote:

Thankyou Michel so much for your thoughts on this. Following your suggestion I have posted this in thew ACR forum too 🙂

Here is the link with the useful advice of using PtLens.

Chromatic fringes in PSE14, but not MS Photo Viwer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines