• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements or Photoshop First? Learning From Scratch ...

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How should I start learning Photoshop from scratch? Do I start with Photoshop Elements or go right into Original Photoshop. My concern is that if I start with Photoshop Elements and then switch to Original Photoshop; that might create problems later.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you intend on eventually using Photoshop, I'd go with the Photography Plan:

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html?promoid=9DJJ4N49&mv=other

There are many tutorials available from Adobe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/tutorials.html

The only issue you might run into is that the Photoshop Elements Catalog and Bridge (the CC version) are not on speaking terms.  You will not be able to convert the Catalog to Bridge. You don't, however, have to use the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even know what the catelog or bridge is. That is how much I do not know. However, I am guessing the Catalog is a plethoria of addons that make things easier to do that you can add on to Elements. These sames tools are probably built into the CC version of Photoshop however, just much harder to use. Am I close?

I am thinking about getting into photography slowly. I have a natural eye for things. I do like to get into things pretty heavily so I can see myself taking this very seriously. I do not want to learn one way for a couple of years and than desire more features only to have to almost relearn everything by switching to a sister program.

If it is smarter to just work a little harder and use Photoshop CC now that is what I will probably do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggest that you start out with PhotoshopElements. This is ideal for a novice consumer. You purchase the software and there are no monthly fees - - it is yours.

The skills that you acquire in Photoshop Elements are readily transferable to full Photoshop.

Unless you intend to utilize the software for professional purposes, you may stick with the consumer version: Photoshp Elements,

There is a good user guide and several books are available in physical stores and Amazon.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/user-guide.html

Try the free 30-day trial:

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/download-trial/try.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I am trying to figure out. I am hearing that they are completely different and learning Photoshop Elements first will create problems when diving into Photoshop CC later. I am hearing do the learning curve now and it will pay off later. I am thinking about getting into basic photography and getting paid for it but extremely minor stuff. Maybe big stuff later like weddings but minor stuff for now. I just do not want to learn two entierly different programs if I don't have to. I mean yes if Elements was exactly like the CC Version minus a lot of the features I would learn Elements first and then switch to CC later. However, I am hearing otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many similarities between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.  Some things are done differently on one program than the other, but it is not difficult to transition from one to the other.

Photoshop Elements has Guided Edits which can do stuff fast, but gives you less control about how it is done.  You can use the Expert Mode, however, to do those things manually.

The Catalog is just what its name says: It's a database of your photos. Bridge is the Photoshop equivalent of that.

I don't use the Catalog because I like to organize my photos another way.

I use both Photoshop Elements and Photoshop, but I prefer Photoshop because I like the interface and the workflow better.

I'd suggest downloading the 30 day trial of Photoshop Elements and play with it.

Then download the 7 day trial of Photoshop.  That may help you make a decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of the great things about Elements that you don't seem to be aware of is the Organizer which comes as part of your Elements purchase.  This creates a media database for viewing and, yes, organizing your photos and videos.  Bridge is more of a file browser which is more dependent on your folder structure for viewing the photos stored on your computer.  The Organizer doesn't care much about your folder structure.  With a little work, you can find your photos no matter where they are on your computer.  As @hatstead suggests, you can download a free copy of Elements to see its capabilities.  I believe you can also download a free copy of Bridge to compare it.

As for whether you should start with Photoshop CC or Elements, I think you need to understand that CC has many more feature options for most of the tools.  But as a beginner, those features may be overwhelming and make the entire process of editing more complex than you need it to be.  I would say that for most editing tasks, there is very little that can be done in CC that can't be done in Elements.  I have both programs, but 90% of the time, I use Elements.

Both programs have guided tutorials within the interface to help you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines