Highlighted

Photoshop Elements Organizer Using Date Modified to Import Photos, not Date Taken

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has started recently, but is causing a major problem. I have an iPhone X and am trying to import photos using Elements 18. It now imports to a folder, who's name is based on Date Modified, not Date Taken. I get 5000 photos imported into folder 20200527. Not sure why the camera thinks they were all modified on that date? Anyhow these photos are duplicates of ones that I have previously imported. I wish Elements was using Date Taken to create the folder, but it is not. Any help would be appreciated.  

I just tried importing using Windows Explorer and it works as expected, so the problem is with Elements. 

TOPICS
Import and export, Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop Elements Organizer Using Date Modified to Import Photos, not Date Taken

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has started recently, but is causing a major problem. I have an iPhone X and am trying to import photos using Elements 18. It now imports to a folder, who's name is based on Date Modified, not Date Taken. I get 5000 photos imported into folder 20200527. Not sure why the camera thinks they were all modified on that date? Anyhow these photos are duplicates of ones that I have previously imported. I wish Elements was using Date Taken to create the folder, but it is not. Any help would be appreciated.  

I just tried importing using Windows Explorer and it works as expected, so the problem is with Elements. 

TOPICS
Import and export, Organizer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree there is a problem (but I'm not sure it's totally Adobe's fault).  It is somewhat random. 

What settings do you have on your iPhone for Camera>Format (High Efficiency or Most Compatible)?

And what settings do you have for Photos>Transfer to Mac or PC (Automatic or Keep Originals)?

If you format your photos/videos with High Efficiency and transfer with Automatic settings, a new copy of the file is created on your computer and the Date Taken setting seems to be lost.  I think that's why you have 5,000 photos placed into a single folder.  Was that the date of the transfer to your computer?

I have sometimes found that the correct Date Taken is shown in the images metadata (viewed in the Organizer's Properties panel) and have been able to move the image into the correct Date Taken folder.  But not always.

I recently bought a new iPhone and moved the contents of my old phone to the new one.  When transferring from the new phone, the date of the phone transfer became the date taken.  There are also other problems when files are transferred to your phone via other apps.

In short, there is no consistency between any software in what fields are used to establish the photo's "date." 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2020 0
bealbd LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPhone Settings:

Camera>Format - High Efficiency 

Photos>Transfer to Mac or PC - Originals

So, when I use Organizer to transfer the photos from my iPhone to the computer, it now creates the Folder name using the date of the Date Modified field, not Date Taken (these photos have been imported to Organizer previously into the correct folders, hence the duplicates, but in different folders). Organizer does not use the date of the downloading for folder names. I have no idea why I have more than 5000 photos on my camera with the same Date Modified date. The Date Taken field is correct (see previous attachment). When I use Window Explorer (not Organizer) to import those photos from my iPhone, Windows uses the Date Taken field to group these same photos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2020 0