Exit

Photoshop Elements virtually unusable on Mac - high memory usage

New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trialling Photoshop Elements 2020.
It is virtually unusable.

Running on a clean install of latest MacOS (Catalina 10.15.4). 4ghz i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 2GB Graphics.

I do have a lot of images and videos (probably 60,000 files) but building the initial Catalog so far has taken a couple of weeks and still isn't done. Switching to the app takes forever (mostly "Not responding" on the mac). Background tasks (building the smart catalogs) use virtually all available memory - and don't even stop when the Organizer app is exited.

So far I haven't even tried to move, rename, or edit a photo. The app is too unwiely.

Queestions then:

1) is there actually any solution to this. (I have now turned off all the background tasks, but that does defeat some of the purpose of the App as I can't use its smart options).

2) Will it ever get better?  How many weeks might I need to wait?
3) If the initial catalog build fails to finish during my 30 day trial can someone help me to extend that?

4) If Photoshop elements can't handle this, any recommendations for other software? (I don't want to use Mac Photos as I want an easy way to control/edit filenames and folders, and also want autoimport of any new images). Previously used Google Picasa which was fast, lightweight, efficient, but not an option on Mac Catalina 64bit.

I hope someone can help

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Organizer , Performance , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you building the catalog? It should not take that long.

Are you importing from the Pictures folder or from a slower partition or external drive?

Can you confirm that the same files are not being referenced in the Apple Photos app?

Do you have a 5K monitor. That is a known hog of resources and why many prefer the Mac Book Pro with retina display but lower resolution. However a 60,000 catalog is not huge and should be manageable.

Adobe never extends free trials. Most are now 7 days only; so Elements is generous at 30 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have a 5k monitor - but haven't seen problems previously. (The computer is a couple of years old, but the Catalina install is totally clean).

On this clean install I haven't even opened Mac Photos so that's not the conflict.

I'm just about to try Adobe Bridge to see if that's any better at managing the photos. I can use other tools for edits if I have to. For now with Elements, the Organizer is failing to cope, so I can't even test clever edits!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only suggestion is to test a new catalog. From the Organizer menu go to:

File >> Manage Catalogs

Then click the button “New”

Choose another catalog name (mp3 slideshow tunes are optional) and click OK

When the empty catalog opens start importing again. Perhaps with a single folder and then small batches of folders.

Keep the organizer running until indexing, auto-creations have completed for each import batch.

Bridge could be an option, as it’s a browser and requires no import. Lightroom Classic may also suit. Quite a number of Mac users moved to Lightroom Classic after Apple dropped support for Aperture. It also comes with full Photoshop although it needs a monthly subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I might try that. The risk is that if I remove all the existing items from a catalog (to reduce any burden on it) I then have a) a lot of folders to add back in again; b) possibly the same result, but delayed if I reach a situation where it can't handle everything and slows the rest of my computer down.

But, it might still be worth trying bit by bit! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The catalog is normally small in size compared with the photo & video files. So creating a new catalog won’t be a burden. You will be importing the same media from the existing folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines