• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements wont open some jpg or jpeg files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photoshop elements 2018 but I find that there are some jpg or jpeg files that it wont open. In organiser they just show as an envelope. When I say open with editor I get the error message that the file may be truncated or corrupt. But if I use any other viewing app or editor the files open fine. Has anyone seen this problem and what is the fix please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Hi,

Sorry to butt in on this thread but have you tried viewing one of the troublesome pictures using Irfanview?

IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide

I downloaded an image from the net and had problems getting it into PSE. When I opened the file using irfanview it also reported an error.

It might give a clue as to your problem.

If you can open it, try saving it to a different file and then see if that opens in PSE

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post on such image here for us to analyze?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arshal,

Please see the attached file - I have pointed out a sample of what wont open.

To: Sam Ismail <samismail1@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:49 AM

Subject: Photoshop Elements wont open some jpg or jpeg files

Photoshop Elements wont open some jpg or jpeg files

created by arshla jindal in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussionCan you please post on such image here for us to analyze? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10241469#10241469 and clicking ā€˜Correctā€™ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10241469#10241469 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Photoshop Elements by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't attach a file via e-mail reply and have it show up on the forum page.

Please use the "insert image" icon at the top of the reply box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip of how to insert images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for uploading the screenshot.

In same way, please upload on such sample image also which we can download and analyze. You would need to post the attachment from web browser and not reply through email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see attached 3 files that Elements wont open.received_1647100551991027.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - Only sent 1 file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Thanks for providing this image.

I downloaded it and imported to Organizer 2018. It works fine at my end.

Can you please tell the size o these images from info panel on right.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The info is :- 49KB 960x637.

Should I try to delete from the catalog and maybe re-import? There are quite a few files like this. Is there a way I can easily list the ones that are showing up? My catalog has over 30,000 files so if there is a way of easily listing these files it would be easier.

Thanks

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add it is also doing it on a few video files as well. And re-importing the whole catalog did not fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arshla,

Do you have a solution for me yet?

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam,

Please accept my apologies for the delayed response.

Please ensure that you have all the OS updates downloaded and installed.

If you install updates, post installation, create a new catalog and import one of the images in this new catalog that were showing corrupted in your older catalog.

If this doesn't resolve your issue, let me know. Also mention your OS.

-Arshla Jindal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arshla,

I have updated both my Windows and Adobe systems and then followed your instructions but it still does not work. My system info as per adobe is :-

Elements Organizer 16.0.0.0

Core Version: 16.0 (20170902.m.113423)

Language Version: 16.0 (20170902.m.113423)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: My Catalog

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\

Catalog Size: 229MB

Catalog Cache Size: 3.1GB

System:

Operating System Name: Windows 10

Operating System Version: 10.0

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:14 Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2

Built-in Memory: 7.9GB

Free Memory: 4GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to butt in on this thread but have you tried viewing one of the troublesome pictures using Irfanview?

IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide

I downloaded an image from the net and had problems getting it into PSE. When I opened the file using irfanview it also reported an error.

It might give a clue as to your problem.

If you can open it, try saving it to a different file and then see if that opens in PSE

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for this. I did as suggested and it worked a treat. Only problem is that there are hundreds of files Oh well....

Thanks again.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam, I missed the workaround that you did to make these files appear (instead of broken icons) in Elements. Was it "just" a matter of updating the OS?

Thanks, Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also verified that the workaround indicated by Jeff (post # 26) did work with the sample images.

You have to use the 'Open in Camera raw' command of the File menu in Expert mode.

Otherwise, there are many posts confirming that if you use simple editors which are not picky about the conformity of the jpeg standards, then you simply save the images from those editors, and they become available to PSE (the faulty or blocking metadata have been ignored and skipped in the save command).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Michel and Jeff!  I try that on some of my photos too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update Arshal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hopefully Arshia will have an answer for you.

Out of interest, do the JPG files that don't open come from the same camera - which camera?

The editor has the ability to open a JPG with camera raw - have you tried that?

Finally, how large are these files?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arshal,

Please see the attached file - I have pointed out a sample of what wont open.Adobe Not Opening JPG Files.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the same problem. While this is a nice workaround I still expect Photoshop Elements to be able to open the same images that all other image programs can.

I have quite a few images that were transferred from an Android phone and most of them won't be opened by photoshop elements (18).

All the images that are a problem were transferred to my android phone from friends via the Facebook Messenger app and later copied in to my photshop catalog through simple file copy.

I can upload the images to google photos and view them, there's also no problem viewing them in the photo app in Windows 10. Paint.net, Picasa and Windows Paint3D also works fine.

Really frustrating and not something I expect from a product I've bought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Images transferred from my Samsung Tablet show up as broken thumbnails. Other programs open them OK. If I open them in Irfanview and save them, refresh the thumbnail in Elements15, I can now see the thumbnail and open it in the Elements photo editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

am having same troubles with Photoshop elements 2019 ... I took one 'unsupported photo' as an example ... I can see it in Editor just fine ... I can adjust it, edit it, make all the software adjustments I want ... it shows in Organizer as 'edit it progress' ... but still can't use it functionally in Organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines