• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Elements wont open some jpg or jpeg files

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have photoshop elements 2018 but I find that there are some jpg or jpeg files that it wont open. In organiser they just show as an envelope. When I say open with editor I get the error message that the file may be truncated or corrupt. But if I use any other viewing app or editor the files open fine. Has anyone seen this problem and what is the fix please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Hi,

Sorry to butt in on this thread but have you tried viewing one of the troublesome pictures using Irfanview?

IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide

I downloaded an image from the net and had problems getting it into PSE. When I opened the file using irfanview it also reported an error.

It might give a clue as to your problem.

If you can open it, try saving it to a different file and then see if that opens in PSE

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFCanuck  wrote

am having same troubles with Photoshop elements 2019 ... I took one 'unsupported photo' as an example ... I can see it in Editor just fine ... I can adjust it, edit it, make all the software adjustments I want ... it shows in Organizer as 'edit it progress' ... but still can't use it functionally in Organizer?

So those are not the same troubles.

The 'unsupported' photos mentioned above can't be opened in the Editor.

it shows in Organizer as 'edit it progress' ... but still can't use it functionally in Organizer?

I don't understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, color me confused ... I can confirm that the same photo that is viewable/manipulatable in Editor ... is unavailable/'unsupported' in Organizer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CFCanuck  wrote

well, color me confused ... I can confirm that the same photo that is viewable/manipulatable in Editor ... is unavailable/'unsupported' in Organizer?

Maybe I was wrong in assuming the same files would not open in the editor. The files I tested in PSE2018 would definitively not. I'll have to find a sample of such a file to test if there is a change in PSE2019.

Edit:

The same test photos in this discussion which did not open in PSE2018 don't open either in PSE2019 editor... but they open fine in the latest Photoshop CC; or in Faststone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI

I have the same problem - cannot open jpg file with Elements 15

These same file files do open properly using Photoshop Express

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often times problem jpegs can be opened using camera raw like the image posted in this thread.

In the photoshop elements editor use File>Open in Camera Raw.

scr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff  That WORKED!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a collage using PhotoShop Elements 2021.  I saved it as a JPG and tried to use Photoshoip Organizer to print two 5"x7" photos on on sheet.  But Organzier gives me the "broken file" icon for the JPG.  The pictures in the collage all camed from my iPhone and were downloaded to a local drive.  

I've seen nothing in this thread to address a JPG that's created by and easily opens in PhotoShop but nor in Organizer.  Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.  I can print the collage from PhotoShop.  Just can't see the thumbnail or print using Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found the answer to my issue.

In PhtotShop, I resized the image from 5"x7" to 3"x4.2" (kept the ratio the same).  WHOOP PING...Organizer gave me a good thumbnail and I was able to print the two 5x7 per page I wanted to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines