• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Places Tags

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is It really imposible to support manual place insertion to Places Tags? I have tens of thousands of photos tagged manually and place names written in local language equivalents since Photoshop 2.0. Compulsory use of Maps is not only glumsy but also very serious disregard to old customers.

Matti

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum with "some" Adobe staff participation, use the links below to make a report or request

-for Video & Audio & Animator programs https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/

-https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

-or Feedback forum https://forums.adobe.com/community/creative_cloud/desktop-app/content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Photoshop are you using?

When a picture is geologged GPS coordinates are written into the corresponding exif fields.

The best solution is to have those inserted by the camera.

You can continue to tag your files with keywords, but those keywords do not have a meaning to the computers. A talented programmer could try writing a program to check those keywords against real places and try to geolog the file. The biggest problem I see here is with typos.

I see that on my own pictures when I try to name persons in pictures. That simply takes me an enormous amount of time. Geologging via a map is quite easy against that, as most of the pictures of a series are taken more or less at the same place. Even if the “place” is a whole town.

So you can do both: Tagging your way and geologging the coarse way.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Photoshop 19. I have photos starting from 1914, about twenty thousand taken before the digital camera was introduced in the 90's. All of them have been scanned and manually tagged - how else? When I import a new batch to PS Catalog, I can still use the old Places Tags, but if a certain place is new (not in the tags before), I must create a duplicate tagging system using Maps. The more cumbersome fact is that I have used local language place names with the old tags, but Maps is using English. I could edit the Maps produced names into local language, but PS is not  capable to connect (or associate) them with the old tag names. The result, for example, is that when I want to look pictures taken in Venicce, I have to check tags for Italia, Venezia (old tags) and Italy, Province of Venice, Venice (maps tags) - really customer friendly. I wonder who is the Adobe PS wise guy that assumed that English is the only language in the wolrld and no pictures were taken before the invention of digital camera. Must be an American?

Matti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Photoshop Elements?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I once started with Photoshop Elements 2.0, upgraded to somel new versions when they were published and just a week ago to Photoshop Elements 19. Upward compatibility is something I would have expected from a consumer software.

Matti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving from Photoshop​ to Photoshop Elements​.

The experts here may be able to help better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already stated, there is nothing compulsory in the use of Maps.

You can still use your own places hierarchies with the standard tags. That's what I have always been doing, especially since the PSE11 version which introduced "special" types of tags for People, Places and events. The language of your tags is kept.

You don't say exactly which PSE versions you have used and how you have upgraded (converted) your catalogs. My guess is that you have missed the opportunity to keep your old tags and their organization after upgrading to PSE11 or newer.

Yes, there was a 'trick' to ignore the change to the new tag types when you convert an older catalog. The conversion process moves the places, people and events tag into the new categories from the default people, places and events under the standard tag hierarchy. To avoid this dispatching of your keywords, you simply have to rename the old places, people and events categories (for instance into 'My Places') and the conversion process ignores those tags. You can continue like before, just like me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old tags are intact (as they were in older versions of PS), but I have not found a way to create new subcategories or keyword tags to the existing hierarchy. It always opens the Map view no matter what I try. The only solution I found was to start new hierarchy under "Other" for the new places.

Matti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a new category:

In the keywords panel on the right, have a look at the title bar "keywords". On the right, you have a + signe and next to it on the right, you have a triangle icon which can open a dropdown menu.

Choose "New category". You can name it as you want.

Changing a subcategory such as the one you have created under 'Other'.

Right click on the subcategory title you have created and choose 'Edit'.

The second line of the dialog lets you change the master category from 'Other' to any other main category, or even change the subcategory into a main one. Selecte 'None, Convert to category'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you describe is fine and works well. However, that does not solve the actual problem. If I cannot add new tags in the old places hierarchy place sub-categories, I have to create a whole new place name hierarchy in the way you descibe. Then, I have to go through all non-digital photos (in fact, all tagged with old hierarchy) and re-tag them to the new keywords. Have I or you missed something?

Matti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How and when was your "old hierarchy" created?

With which PSE version? Which PSE language?

Did you use the default "Places" category and added your own subcategories, sub-subcategories and personal tag keywords?

Did you update to newer PSE version by "converting your catalogs"?

If so, did you upgrade from a PSE version before PSE11 to a newer version? Then do you still have a recent catalog with the old hierarchy?

If you have converted to the new places special tags, I don't know of any way to convert back. The solution is to select files corresponding to a place or place subcategory and to assign the corresponding tag or old subcategory. And to do it for all places or categories.

If you upgraded recently from an old PSE version, you can :

1 - If your main "places" name is the default one offered in older versions, rename that to something like "My Places"

2 - convert the old catalog again manually from the catalog manager. There will be no places conversion at all.

3 - Run an "Import" session for files imported after first conversion.

If I cannot add new tags in the old places hierarchy place sub-categories, I have to create a whole new place name hierarchy in the way you descibe.

Since the old places hierarchy will be kept and available, where is the problem?

You can rename the main Places hierarchy if you want. You can assign any subcategory with all its children subcategories and tags to any existing master category as parents. You never have to retag files, you only manage the hierarchy steps. The fact that the files are digital or scanned does not matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I checked my path. The first PS I purchased was 2,0, then I upgraded to PS  7, PS 8, PS10, and  PS 15. PS 15 was a disappointment because it mixed my date settings for the pictures taken before the digital camera. I did not do any new place tags with PS 15. Then, two weeks ago I ugraded to PS 19. I have already corrected the photo shoot dates manually for 40000 photos.

Ok, second, I started tagging places with PS 2 or PS 7, can't be quite sure. Tagging was done using the standard method in PSE. After all upgrades I still have the original hierarchy in Places. But cannot do any updates (exept renaming, which is not an option) to that.

Thirdly the catalog conversion message in the introduction of the new version (at least 15 and19) is so simple, that there is now way of understanding what the conversion means and does.

I'm frustrated and will consider to move to an other application even if it requires redoing what I have deone with PSE. This is not the way applications should work. My experiense is as long time worker with Unisys (23 years) and Oracle (16 years),,

Matti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems it is impossible to insert new names into PSE Places Tags. I wasted three hours yesterday trying everything I could.   I migrated from PSE10 to 19 and fortunately had exported my Keyword Tags. When I migrated to 19 all my places tags were moved into the Places mapped version. I have about 20,000 photos back to the mid 1850's and generally only a rough idea (if any) of where they were taken.

I imported my keyword structure but then had to re-tag the files tagged with Places with my own Keyword tagged files; that was a couple of hours work this afternoon. I shall use my Location structure and ignore Adobe Places from now on, as I can control, add, move, at my choice.  Its a case of more is less. It probably works for modern GPS tagged pictures but not for  my collection. A choice to add manually surely isn't beyond the wit of man.

However if you haven't got an export of your old structure I thought of another slight short-cut, and have just tested the following as a method to recreate keywords without having to retype them all.

1. Import a JPG file - I suggest something you don't care about

2. Add all the Place Tags to it (one by one as far as I could see). It might be worth doing in subsets if you have a huge number - for calibration: I had about 250 locations.

3. Highlight JPG and write the tags to it.

4. Export as new JPG to desktop

5. Review desktop file with File Explorer to confirm all tags added

6. Delete JPG from PSE catalog

7. Import JPG from desktop

8. Window offers to import keywords; click advanced and see if any duplicates you want (I accepted them all)

9. Keywords appear under an Imported Keyword tag heading.

10 Organise as you want.

11. Use each entry in Places to display the subset of pictures; select all and Tag with the appropriate Keyword Tag

It might help someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines