• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

playing .mov video on elements 15

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - when I record videos on my iPhone in .mov format, when I import to elements 15 it does not show a thumbnail and does not play the video. Talks about apple quicktime which is not supported any more. I can see the thumbnail and play the video using the microsoft photos and movies apps. Is there a fix for elements 15? My computer is running windows 10.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talks about apple quicktime which is not supported anymore.

Do you mean that you are getting a message that quicktime is required to play the video?  What OS are you using?  While Apple is no longer "supporting" Quicktime, it is still available for Windows 7, and although it is not necessarily required for Windows 10, installing it may allow your mov files to be played in Elements 15.  But note that Apple stopped supporting Quicktime because of security issues related to browser extensions that used to be installed with the program.

In any event, perhaps your best bet is to use a utility to convert the mov files to mp4 or other format.  Handbrake is a free utility that is available for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Greg. That worked by converting using Handbrake. But a bit of a pain to convert all my .mov files. And my iPhone records in 4k but I can only find settings for HD in Handbrake. Do you know if there is a setting for 4k I am missing? Thanks again. Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Handbrake can convert a 4k mov file to a 4k mp4 file (using the H.265 codec) but it still won't play in Elements 15.  I've just done a quick search and it looks like Elements 15 does not support 4k video.  I'm not sure about this, so you may want to make inquiries on the Premiere Elements forum. 

What I can tell you is that the latest version of Elements does support 4k mov files from an iPhone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg - so I've downloaded the trial version of elements 2019 and that doesn't work either. It update my catalogue but still not recognising or playing the .mov files or the 4k file converted to .mp4. It gives me a message saying 'media pending'. Any ideas? Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, can you give us a screenshot of the error message.  I don't think I've ever seen that one before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg - I've emailed a picture to you. Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, your email will not reach me.  Please post the screenshot in a post in this thread, using the Blue reply button that appears next to your original post.  You can upload the image to the forum using the insert photo icon in the post editor ribbon:

Snap10_2019.09.20_16h31m06s_004_.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it. Hopefully this worksFound it. Hopefully this worksHi Greg - I can't see the ribbon you are highlighting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Windows Media Viewer version 12 on your machine.  Can you play the mov files in it? You might want to take a look at this webpage.

It suggests downloading Quicktime.  But note the warning about vulnerability.  As I indicated, I have Quicktime installed on my machine and have no problem playing iPhone 4k mov files in the Organizer.

If none of the suggestions work for you, I suggest you post the problem on the Premiere Elements forum. Somebody there may have better suggestions than I have.  (Do you have Premiere Elements installed?  If so, do the mov files play in it?).

Again, when posting, please reply using the blue Reply button next to the original post, not the grey reply buttons next to the additional posts:  A.  You get the full editor and can post screenshots; and B.  it is easier to see the reply.  The nested replies are collapsed, so I almost overlooked your screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg - I've ensured windows media 12 installed and it plays everything perfectly. The .mov iPhone files, .mp4 files, everthing. So I tried premiere elements and when I import the .mov file it gave the message the format was not supported or the correct codec installed. Getting a bit frustrating.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you got this resolved?

I can play the movies in Windows Media player and VLC, but not in Photoshop Elements. iosmov.JPG

Also my .heic files wll not get imported...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, did this got resolved?

I can play the movies in Windows Media player and VLC, but not in Photoshop Elements 15 on Win10. 

"The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compressor/decompresser(codec) installed."

Also the .heic files will not get imported...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines